Goin from private to public

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Whitetail_Widowmaker, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright with everything going on lately I'm gonna more then likley be having to start Georgia WMA's. Never hunted one before and i know a bunch of you fellas have on here, so if ya'll could give me some pointers on hunting public land I would appreciate it.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to tackle public ground first thing I'd want is an aerial...and topographical map if accessible. I'd also try to start hitting the areas hard that you want to check out here this month. You'll wanna let them settle down at minimum September.

A good friend of mine whose had success at public spots said above all else you must do the following at Public places:

Be willing to walk deeper or where other people won't.
    Be willing to sit longer than other people will.
    Be willing to trust what your scouting and mind tells you.

3. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go as far back in the woods as possible. Your chances will be a lot higher of shooting a big buck. A lot of people walk a little bit, then set up. Find a trail that they take, and set up about 10-15yds away from it. If you can find acorn or walnut trees, that's your ticket. Deer love em'. I hunt a 800-1500 acre public land. We shoot bucks out of it every year, because we set up way back in the woods.

4. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ My experience with GA WMAs is a lot of the guys stay close to the road and are usually within a .5 mile of where they park. The only thing I would add to the above list is...

Be willing to be the first in the woods

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dont mark your trails to your stand locations other people will follow them and hunt them. Walk a trail a few times and look around to find things that stand out to lead you to your stand. I use very minimal reflective tacks and it would be very hard to follow if you did not know the area

6. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have line, topographical and infared maps of the Keg Creek WMA near Clarks Hill Lake and saw areas of interest. Im glad what tynimiller and gabowhunter had mentioned those tips because I was thinking just bout the same things about going further into the timber then average joe hunter

7. 931jasons91

931jasons91 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a pretty good buck that I read Bowhunting Whitetails The Eberhart Way. It's a pretty good read for anyone who plans on hunting public land. Just an idea for you.

8. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have access to both public and private. I love hunting both of them. My favorite hunts are large tracts of public land in remote areas.

9. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Be the first one in.
    Find good areas that are hard to get to or be willing to go deep.
    Look for good food sources.
    Look for trails crossings
    Find active scrape line to hunt over

Two hunts I will be doing this year:
    I found an oak flat located in the middle of a popple thicket. It is 1.5 miles back in the woods. It is not that difficult of a hike as I can walk a logging trail most of the way. I might take my bike and hide it next to my entrance point.

Another hunt I am going to do is one that I just bought some hip waders for. It's a much shorter walk but the only thing is I have to cross a river/creek which most guys won't want to do that. There is a piece of public on the other side of the river that has a clover field and a corn field on two sides of it. Im hoping to catch a deer coming from a field to the water which they could be bedding up river from where I cross.

10. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is how I have taken most of my public land bucks in WI and IL. Although, my largest buck was taken from about 30 yds off of the road along a creek. I literally watched every other hunter parked in that lot walk back to their trucks and leave between 9-10 AM on November 10th. This guy walked down the creek (yes in the creek) at 10:20. He was walking quietly in the creek about 40 yds parallel to the access trail the hunters were walking! Of course, this was during the rut when our tactics can and probably should change dramatically than early season!

As Ty said, start cyber scouting right now on those aerial satellite and topo maps. When you locate a few good locations head to the property and take a first-hand look at those spots. I suggest going in on a light rain day, if possible, to reduce the scent that you are leaving. Good luck...a public land deer regardless of size is something to really brag about!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    walk further back than anyone else. Common theme.

12. ckeith

ckeith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone else said the further you go back the better your chances. You will also wanna be in your stand as early as possible. I mostly hunt public land and have learned that alot of people will not bring stands in with them, they'll just walk around watching other people to find where they hunt and will start hunting that spot. If there are logging roads going back you can ride a bicycle along way with all your equipment as uncomfortable as it sounds its not that bad. If you hunt somewhere with creeks you can always canoe down them.

13. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be willing to walk deeper or where other people won't.
    Be willing to sit longer than other people will.
    Be willing to trust what your scouting and mind tells you.

Great advice.
    Hunted Pub. land for many years. have had great success.

14. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ground work is your best bet by far.

15. Andrew Manukas

Andrew Manukas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am fortunate to live in Illinois. I have access to some private and a lot of public land. I kill deer on both. I agree to get away from the crowds. I walk almost a mile to hunt 1 spot and it is a long walk back to the truck to get the deer cart when I do kill one. More than anything, have faith. The deer are there. And they all don't disappear at 9:00 like most average hunters think.