Ghillie Suits

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by BowhuntOnly, Mar 14, 2019.

1. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have some good DIY Guillie Suits. I am working on one myself and thought it would be cool to see what else is out there.

Derek Sims likes this.
  2. gregm

gregm Newb

Dislikes Received:
    if people have made ghillie suits, what of wrapping the bow riser with burlap - much like how snipers would wrap their rifle / sight to break up straight line outlines. would this be more beneficial than buying a bow in a certain camo pattern?

Eric Ehlenfeldt likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt do anything like that to your bow. Too much can go wrong with that imo. I dont think its that crucial

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is a point to the camp dips. A bow is not a human form a bow would look like a limb /branch even with slow movement. A human big lump in a tree / Bush is way different so breaking up that out line is beneficial.

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So how are you making yours?
    I'm looking to make one my self. I have a couple of faded camo zip hoodies and sweats. They are way big on me now so need some sewing anyways. This is my plan:
    Buying camo fleece. Fleece not flannel because fleece is printed both sides, flannel is not.. I'm going with 2 different camo shades. I will cut measured strips of each one slightly wider than the other. Tack two strips together and fringe each side leaving enough in the middle to sew on to the sweats. Then tie the longer strip across the center into a knot to cover that stitch line and produce more " Texture ". So fringe strips need to be thin.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I can kill a turkey without all this at 5 yards on the ground without a blind then I don't need this. But it would be cool to run around the woods like Rambo. I like when the guys on "The Hunting Public" run around in them.

Eric Ehlenfeldt likes this.
  7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get too fancy with your ghillie suits, ghillie suits are for people hunting, just buy the leafy suit from Walmart. If you need durable one for crawling etc, then you'll need some other materials and time. Ghillie suits are not fun to make and the big bushy ones you can buy are ridiculous.

8. Eric Ehlenfeldt

Eric Ehlenfeldt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cost me 50 dollars at FleetFarm to but a suit.