Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Ghillie Suit for Bow Hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichaelCfffg, Sep 5, 2013.

1. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't argue with that, but I'm tightwad. I used to have this dry suit liner when I was in the Navy. It was basically a nomex flight suit covered with mesh. Would have been perfect to turn into a ghillie suit. I'll have to get in touch with a parachute rigger I know. See if he can track another one down for me.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

2. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the rancho safari. It's fun to mix it up, and some days I just don't want to sit in a tree. I usually sit on a folding stool next to a good back stop. Slow movement and playing the wind allow you to get pretty darn close to animals. If your hunting deep, a stool and a ghillie suit are a lot easier to pack than even the lightest stands. The Marc Anthony suit looks really nice.

3. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up getting the MA suit too. It is nice quality and has worked well out in the field for me on a few test runs. I agree it is spendy but other camo is these days too! And I feel this breaks up your outline on the ground much better. I used by big C store points to pay for most of it. Good stuff.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one but just sent it back. Great ghillie suit but I thnk it would be better for rifle. All those strings seem like they would get in the way for bow hunting.

Looking for a new leaky suit now.

5. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think that would be too hot, I forget what nomex is, but I can't imagine a normal flight suit being suitable for crawling or walking around in. Though technically many people put it on once they get to that location.

6. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Meh. It's not a tank top and shorts, but once you've had to wear MOPP gear in the Persian Gulf, hot has a whole new meaning.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

7. ellerja

ellerja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the process of making one. You can make one cheap it just takes a little time. There
    is an excellent video on you tube by Ghillieexpert.Its a 9 part series.

8. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I just placed an order for the Marc Anthony fall pattern jacket and pants. Wow, that's a bunch of money, but I hope it's worth it. I figured out that I had enough rewards credits on my business credit card to get me a debit card with enough money on it to buy the full suit, and still have a little extra to spare - so essentially it really didn't cost me anything out of pocket. Love that rewards card. I figured that with the fall pattern, I can still use it for spring turkey or early season deer by just tying on some green vegetation as needed, making it dual purpose.

9. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I went through sniper school I had to build my own. Takes a bunch of time but you can build it the way you like it. My wife and I pulled burlap apart string by string for a week. The finished product was awesome! I've been on SWAT call outs and had the perimeter team nearly step on me in broad daylight while I'm ghillied up!

10. Trent

Trent Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used one in the past and it has worked wonders. The leafy pattern is great when hunting up in the trees. The only problem that I had was when wearing it was on my walk to the stand. I had about 50 burrs get into the material of my pants and it was a nightmare to try and get them out. My two cents; keep it in your bag until you get to your stand.

11. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, mine came in pretty quick, and as a first impression, I had to agree with you. There was a big gob of jute hanging down right across what was supposed to be the cleared-for-bowhunting area of the left shoulder, and that definitely wouldn't work. I took about 20 minutes however, to tie some of the long ends back, and move some of the other bundles to a completely different area of the suit. I think it will work fine now.

The only thing I wasn't too pleased about was the pants size. I had two choices on the BushRag website where I ordered it, up to a 44" waist, or up to a 54" waist. I've only got a 38" waist, so I ordered the smaller pants. When I got the suit though, the pants are pretty short. I'm 6 ft. 2 in., and I'd like to have pants with longer legs than these, but I don't want a 54" waist size falling down as I'm trying to make a shot. I'm also wondering how tight the pants I got will be over long johns and a 2 or 3 other layers of cold weather clothing. They're not as loose or baggy as I'd like them to be.

I'm tempted to send the pants back in trade for the larger size, then use them with suspenders if I have to, but I had really hoped to use the suit this Saturday, three days from now.

12. MarkV

MarkV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used one I made for a few seasons and ended up going to a 3d leafy suit. Where I hunt I found it too hot and the legs would collect burs, twigs and sticks which was a huge pain while stalking.
    I now just use the jacket with camo pants a face vail and a floppy brimmed hat. I've found breaking up the outline of your head and shoulders more important than anything else. Well it does for the deer down here in Oz.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a little extra time this afternoon, so I got my bow out to make sure my sight in was still good, and put four arrows in a 3 in. pattern at 30 yards. That's plenty good for deer at that range, and I won't need to take a shot any longer than that where I hunt.

Once I knew I was still dialed in with the bow, I put the ghilli jacket on and tried a few shots with that. Mr. Anthony has a superb product. Everything worked well, and there appeared to be no chance of the string getting caught up in the jute. I will have to watch out that my release doesn't get tangled, but even that looks to be a minor concern.

I ordered the carbon dip for the suit, but it hasn't come in yet, so the coloration is a little lighter yet than what would be ideal. I'm thinking I'll take a magic marker to the felt shoulder and arm areas, and put something like a treebark pattern in that area to kind of break it up a little. It certainly can't hurt it - as long as the magic marker scent (stink) volatilizes away pretty quickly, and I think it would.

I'm pumped! I went out and bought some face paint, a can of nose jammer, and a bottle of Tink's 69 this evening, and I think I'm ready to go for this Saturday.

14. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I at least got to get out into the woods on a beautiful day yesterday, Saturday. As I expected, the pants were too tight over my other hunting clothes, so I didn't even take them into the woods with me, and I've sent BushRag support an email asking to exchange them. The jacket however, worked fine. I didn't see any deer, but I had little birds all around me on several occasions, and they didn't have a clue I was there. Of course, you can do that with regular camo most of the time.

If I had to complain, the hood is a little too small, and could easily be lengthened by a couple of inches. I love the built-in roll-up holder and carrying strap, but need to figure out what to do with the straps when I'm wearing the jacket. They should also be a light brown in color instead of black. They want to hang down below the back of the jacket when you're wearing it - to the point where my feet would get tangled with the carrying strap when I knelt down with the jacket on.

But these things are just part of the learning curve in getting used to this product. It's definitely something you carry in, then put on once you're ready to actually hunt. I also used a billed camo ball cap with the hood to keep the jute and sun out of my eyes, and to keep my face shadowed. I used dark face paint to further camouflage my face, and that seemed to work well with the ghilli suit. Can't wait to try it again.

15. Hookturn

Hookturn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to hunting so I have very little experience. But I hunt exclusively from the ground and read some good things about the suits so I got one. Since I had to buy all the essential equipment this year just to get started, money was tight. I found one for $60 online but can't remember where. It seems to work pretty well. I got my first buck who walked right past me (7-10 yards)and never even looked my way. Mine was not made for bow hunting so I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the strings. My only complaint is that after washing it the strings get really tangled. It takes awhile to get them all undone and back to normal. But that problem might just be a function of the low quality of my suit.

16. SmokinMOBucks

SmokinMOBucks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a leafy wear suit that I bought this year at bass pro. It was made by redhead and cost me like 50 $ total for a mask, top, and bottom. Its light and I have not been spotted with it (as far as I know). Love it