Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Ghillie Suit for Bow Hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichaelCfffg, Sep 5, 2013.

1. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking at a Ghillie suit that Sportsmansguide.com has at what seems to be a pretty good price. They're claiming that it's "Perfect for bow or gun hunting!" I'm concerned that the long strings hanging off the suit will snag on a bowstring when taking a shot. Does anyone have any experience bow hunting in a Ghillie suit, and has anyone purchased this particular one? I'd be most interested in your thoughts and feedback on this. Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Mike

2. absolute giant

absolute giant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had thought about trying a Ghillie suit this year as well. Not sure if you have heard of Marc Anthony or not. Marc is an outdoor writer/product tester and accomplished hunter. He has bow hunted with a ghillie suit for years and has had great success mainly hunting on ground rather than in a tree stand. Marc worked with Bush Rag (manufacture of ghillie suits) to develop a ghillie suit made for bow hunters. You can order the jacket in right or left hand and the jute (long strings) are purposely missing from the inside arm and chest area so they are not in the way while drawing or releasing your bow. You can go to bushrag.com and you will find "Marc Anthony's Bow Hunter Jacket and Marc Anthony Bow Hunter Pants". They are available in two different colors...a bit pricey but I think if I was going to invest in one I would probably opt for this one. As I menioned Marc has worn a ghillie for years and help put his thought and best ideas into this suit. In addition to wearing a ghillie suit Marc dips his suit into a product called Carbon Synergy that helps him be nearly undetected. I'm going to try some Carbon Synergy myself this year and see how it does. It's pretty cheap and as long as you keep your clothes sealed one or two bottles will last the season (depending on how much you hunt). You can also check out Marc Anthony Outdoors (nontypicalhunter.com) for more information. Marc would be happy to answer any of your questions. I know Cabelas carries the bush rag suit they call it "Camouflage Systems Bow Hunter Jacket and Camouflage Systems Bow Hunter Pants. Hope this helps.

3. ILLbucknut

ILLbucknut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use a Primos cloth arm guard and trim a few strings off the chest if ya have to.

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend who has a Ghilli suit and he loves it. You'll have to practice shooting with it on and maybe use an armguard.

5. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could always trim those strings off where you need to. One of the other posters is right, Marc Anthony seems to get it done every year from the ground in his ghillie suit.

I bought a "shaggy suit" from Rancho Safari a few years back and use it some throughout the season. It's fun to change things up rather than being in a tree all the time. I killed a decent 100 incher from the ground a few years back (before I bought my ghillie suit) so it can be done even without a suit. Since I've had the suit, I haven't had many encounters with bucks I want to shoot but the suit has helped get me close to all kinds of game. I've have some pretty cool encounters with birds, squirrels, groundhogs, deer, and even a mouse while in the ghillie. You should try it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im thinking about buying a mark anthony ghillie if I can find a used one at a decent price. Seems like it would be fun, I just wonder about the breathability and comfort of the ghillie suit.

7. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    clearance ghillie suit, Mossy color only

At $50 im tempted to buy one and try it. Only difference between this and the new Gen 2 are pants pockets and zippable mosquito lining on the face.

Kinda worried about the flammable thing even though it has flame retardant applied

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Old Fred Bear was getting it done in a plaid flannel shirt and a stick and string. Those suits were designed to foil trained observers with binocular color vision and top of the line optics.

All of us can recall the epic stare downs, where the key to remaining undetected was remaining motionless. In low winds, any motion (drawing for example) is magnified in a ghillie. FWIW, methinks your money is better spent on items that will help fool the nose.

9. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, what guy decided to buy the ghillie suit that I linked while I went to dinner? Just sold out as I was about to buy!

10. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Man hahah stupid me for linking it on here and going to dinner.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use one and love it! Never had any interference with the bow string.

12. GhilliesandStuff

GhilliesandStuff Newb

Dislikes Received:
  13. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ghillies Extreme <== This is where most of the Snipers on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune go to buy a custom Suit. I'm taking about custom. This site is owned by a retired sniper. So if it's good for real life combat. That means it's GREAT for HUNTING!

14. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Says the guy that calls himself Treestandsniper. :) I disagree with your post. A ghillie suit is another great "tool" when used properly.

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have two ghillie suits. One in Realtree and one in MossyOak. I wear them exclusively during the early season here in NC. I wear a moisture wicking base layer under them and I stay really cool. I spray them down with Sawyer's Permethrin and that keeps the skeeters away. I love a ghille suits. It helps break up your silhouette in the tree. That leafy pattern fits in really well in early season.

16. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree. Money is better spent trying to break up your outline. Better chance of fooling their sight than nose.

Ghillie suit would be a great addition and just make those few customizations that were mentioned above. Also, practice a lot in it, fix all the problems before you're trying to draw on a deer.

17. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, thanks for the tip on Marc Anthony and his suit. After having done some more thorough research on it, it looks like his is a much better quality suit. Now I've just got to figure out how to afford one. I'll probably buy the jacket first, then the pants later on, but I think this is the one I want to get.

18. kimberglock

kimberglock Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear regular camo and just the gillie head piece with just an oval for your eyes and it works really well. I had a small doe walk right up to me in the woods she got within 10 feet before she freaked and ran. Then on opening day I used it to get a buck from the stand. When they would look up at me I shut my eyes and they would look away. Then wack!!!

19. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe he's the same guy who made the ghillies for the movie Shooter, but don't quote me on that. Also, not that it matters, but he's an active duty Marine, not retired.

I've been considering a suit for a while, but the things ain't cheap.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

20. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    ?? Ghillie suit is far cheaper than buying all the other things out there ~$200 for the full marc anthony suit.