Getting your body in shape for the season...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dubbya, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I slacked off a little bit this summer, but it's game time now. The next 2 months will be some serious cardio and lots of trainging with low weight and high reps. Gilled meat and lots of veggies to come!

I'll do cardio every morning and lift three days a week. I've recently started a new routine, working my push muscles (tri's, chest, quads, etc) one day and then my pull muscles (bi's, back, hammy's, etc) the next. It kind of like it...

What do you guys do?

2. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I rolled the weights out yesterday and set things up, thats as far as I got. Tomorrow is the big day. I will start with 3 days a week of weights and 2 of Cardio. I dont recover as good as I did when I was young, so I'll be taking it easy for the first month.

3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good post/advice Dubbya. I slacked off pretty good all summer, but got back on the wagon this week. I do chest/tri's, shoulders/bi's, legs/abs twice a week. Lower weight and higher reps also. Cardio 3 times a week with a 4th if I get time.

4. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does being 18 and not worrying about it count :confused:

:d

5. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll cut back back from 2 Big macs to 1 1/2. On a more serious note I stay pretty active and in good shape. I have picked up on my cardio and will continue to step it up as the season approaches.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I don't do a ton of exercise anymore. I keep extremely active around the house though, with 3-4 nights a week of yardwork and house projects, and I spend weekends working down at my camp doing firewood, food plots, etc. I'm guessing I spend a good 1-2 hours per night of labor intensive work during the week, and on weekends I'm generally doing 4-8+ hours of hard work. When I mow the lawn, I make it a point not to use the power assist drive, instead I push it. I walk the dog a good 1-2 miles a day. Just this weekend I helped my soon to be father in law move 4 tons of wood stove pellets into a storage area. I really just don't have a desire to hit the gym anymore but these little things add up and I'm in the best shape I have been for probably 4 years.

I have lost 15-16 pounds since May. I am more active now than I was months ago, but I really contribute most of that to eating smarter. I'm doing my best to get 100+ grams of lean protein a day, I try not to eat excessive carbs, and I have cut my overall calorie intake down to 1500-1800 per day. When I'm hungry, I snack on beef jerky in my office and I drink a lot more water. I'm losing an average of 1-2 lbs per week now, and I'm hoping to get down to the 200-205 mark again. I've got another 10lbs to go........but for now I'm pretty happy with what I have lost.

7. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't exercise for hunting season, or exercise at all for that matter! Climbing around on I-beams 80- 100 feet in the air pulling up chain motors with 5/8" derby rope keeps me in top notch form year around! I do loose weight every season, which is kinda nice for a while!:deer:

8. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been lifting pretty hard since last winter. My chest and arms are bigger than they've been since my college days.

When I was 51 days out from my elk trip, I promised myself I'd run every single night until I left for Colorado. I made it 17 straight days before one of my knees started telling me to slack off and give it a rest. ;) I'm moving my cardio training to my Nordic Track tonight; I can get as good or even better a workout with much less impact.

I've been eating REAL sensibly since last winter (wife and I split one meal when we eat out, that sort of thing), but for the last month and a half, I've had a protein shake for breakfast, a protein bar for my mid-morning snack, two cans of tuna for lunch, and another bar or shake when I get home around 3. I then eat a small portion of whatever my wife's cooked that night. I'm trying to drink as much water as I can every day as well.

It's really paying off... I put on an old belt today, and snugged it up an extra two notches past where it was last year. I'm down to a 33" waist, and if I can lose one more inch, I'll be pretty darn happy. I doubt I can lose many more pounds as hard as I'm lifting and supplementing with protein.

9. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i'm up to about a 12 pack per day... ;)

seriously, i've been dieting a bit and walking a bit to start getting in shape a little, been battling a bad back in the past couple years and have gained a fair amount of weight because of it... hopefully that is about resolved

10. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quit smoking 3 months ago. Hiking the mountain never felt so good.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to you Ben. I quit the day before the 2005 bowseason started, so I'm going on 3 years now without any smokes. I was smoking almost a pack a day when I quit as well.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was worse than that. It was a 12 year habit. I never thought that I would do it. Finally one day, halfway through a cig, with a pack and a half in the console, I said #$ck this, I don't need this and that was it. I was checking some stuff at the cabin the other day and hiking up the one hill, I realized that I was not as winded as I used to. At that point in the hill, I should have been falling over and getting made fun of as the guys have gotten used to. Not that day, I was leading the pack.

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Started about 1 1/2 years ago of lifting and a serious diet change. It had been along time but i was getting asthma like symtoms and feeling like crap. I managed to go from 230 lbs down to 193 last summer. I have been eating protein like crazy and lifting heavy again and am back to 205 lbs right now. I drink a ton of water right now and no pop at all. I had been doing cardio for awhile and kinda slipped from it but started running again, hills included, and twicking the diet back slightly to take a little more off the waist. any one ever get tired of baked/grilled chicken breast? :deer: At age 43, I had a goal of benching 250 by last March weighing under 195# , and was just under it comfortably without a spotter, and i tore my left rotator cuff slightly heisting a trash bag the wrong way :cry: I had to back off for awhile while it healed somewhat. Im back to 240 easily for now. I was military pressing 135 for 4 reps on my fourth set/seated but cant even do them now with the shoulder, got to use dumb bells. Got the guns to slightly over 16" now. I feel better than i have in a long time guys. It proves its self in the woods each season.

14. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep last Aug. one of my partners at work and I have been going in before work and we cardio one day and lift and cardio the next, like Greg said it's the biggest my arms and chest have been since high school. The biggest thing I have noticed I broke my back 20 yaers ago and this is the best my back has felt in years!!! Walt

15. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK, so I had to wrap a cloth tape around them after that... I'm just over 15, but Hey, I'm only 182 lbs now, too! :D

I honestly don't hit the bis very much at all; I damaged some tendons in my elbows a couple years ago when I was lifting hard trying to grow them, and it was painful to lift a coffee mug for a few weeks.

Luckily, it happened in the off-season, but it sure made me think about my bowhunting career. I decided right then that I wasn't going to jeopardize my biggest passion in life outside my family just to get bigger arms. I wish I didn't have to worry about it, but unfortunately after that event, I do.

16. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did the powerlifting thing pretty intensely all through college while playing football.. hard on the tendons ligaments imo... I was strong as hell but I dont care about that anymore..

got in a bad accident at 29 broke 4 verts ..had some serious surgery..changed everything for me as far as lifting and training goes.. Got way to fat for my body composition ...got sick of that this year and have been hitting the cardio harder than I ever have in my life including my college football days.. course I was 20 back then it was easy....

This spring/summer I dropped from 212 to 187... best I have felt in 20 years.. Cardio 30 minute sessions 4 days a week min ...and circuit training with dumbells and hitting the heavy bag 4-5 times a week. So I do a split routine 4 days a week min.. My diet consists of mostly high protein (mostly elk/whitetail) very low fat foods all my carbs are coming from fresh fruit and veges out of the garden... I dont eat a lot of calories anymore.. 2000 or less per day and most of myfoods are Zone specific. I still havent found a diet list of foods that I like better than the "zone". I cut out all sugars and white flowers.

Staying fit will always be about sensible diet, rest and consistent cardio/muscular training, good luck to all you guys sounds like your busting your butts ... I have too I dont want RYBO to walk me in the ground come Sept!

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    :confused: sorry Greg i didnt mean to make you break out the tape :d Im in the process of slowly dropping my weight to my high school graduation weight of 185 so im sure the guns will go down some :cry: . notice i said slowly ;) I dont lift (heavy/for me) all the time but try to not to get stuck in a groove, so i lift heavy for awhile and switch to lighter and more reps about every two weeks. I just started doing cardio again..running with my daughter (she keeps me motivated)and walking coal incline belts at work. From what i read muscle burns calories so that for me is why i throw in the heavy once in awhile. I to have bigger arms and chest than i did in high school when i was lifting but i was ignorant of the diet rest thing :violin: Remember when everyone was calling bull on TDWW When he said he has 16" guns? :d 16" really aint that big so im shooting for 17" in the next five years :d SHED!! Dang, breaking your back was not a good thing man. Glad you over came it and are able to do what you do :hail: