Getting right bow

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cam_furrow, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Cam_furrow

Cam_furrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Just starting bow hunting! I am very confused and think I am using the bow wrong. I'm not sure if I am left or right handed. I stick my left hand out and pull string back with right. Also, which handed bow should the spot where the arrow lays be on??
    Thanks guys

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First thing you need to do is determine which of your eyes is dominant.

Make the "ok" symbol with your hand and hold it out at arms length. With both eyes open, put a door knob or something similar in the circle. Now close one eye. If the object stays in the circle than that is your dominant eye. If the object appears to jump out of the circle, try the other eye to see if it stays put.

Buy a bow that matches your eye dominance. Right eye dominant=Right handed bow and vice-versa.

To answer your question, a right handed bow is held in the left hand while the string is pulled with the right hand an the string lines up with the right eye at full draw. The arrow sits on the left side of the riser.

3. Cam_furrow

Cam_furrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So im really gonna confuse you but my goal is to buy a compound bow( I have a recurve bow LH (the cut out is on the right)). I have been using the recurve bow with my left hand out ( so right handed). I am left eye dominant.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a left dominant eye and a left hand bow, why are you holding it backwards?

What exactly I your question pertaining to compound bows?

5. Cam_furrow

Cam_furrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well I'm gonna buy a new compound bow and I'm wanting to decide if I should buy and get used to holding a left hand bow just for my dominance or to just get a right handed bow? Like how important is using the dominant eye? For instance, I shoot right handed and it doesn't bother me that much.

6. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why make things harder for yourself? You are shooting a left handed bow backwards using the wrong eye. My suggestion is go to a shop and shoot a right hand bow correctly and see how you shoot. They may even have a lefty (doubtful but there's always a chance) to shoot them back to back. A compound using a peep sight and sight is a lot different than shooting a recurve.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the dominant eye. Get a left handed bow and learn to shoot left handed. It will be better for you in the long run.

I don't have any first hand experience with it myself but my wife is left eye dominant. There is at least one thread here on the topic. It's not that old so it should show up in a search fairly easily.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya you've been shooting the recurve backwards. I think the best advice at this point would be to get to a bow shop and shoot both left and right handed bows the correct way and see what's most comfortable. It will be much harder to shoot a compound bow the way you are shooting the recurve currently.

10. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having shot and killed deer both left and right, go w/ your dominant eye. In the heat of the moment, my dominant eye took over and looked at the sight not thru the peep, so I shot way in front of a nice buck. Lesson learned.