Getting permission

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Rumchada1443, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Rumchada1443

Rumchada1443 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are some tips that can help me gain more properties to bow hunt? The land that I have been hunting for years was just sold and I no longer have private. What are some great ideas to get out and ask? What are things you have done that worked?

Thanks in advance.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, that's some bad timing! Sorry to hear that. I guess all you can do is ask some of the farmers in your general area. Start by mentioning that you just want to bowhunt, that might help your cause. :biggrin: Where I live/hunt you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting permission to hunt. Good luck to you.

3. Rumchada1443

Rumchada1443 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea it is bad timing but I had the feeling that it was going to happen. In my area where I hunt, it's known for big deer in Wisconsin. It's really hard finding a nice property. I did just gain a 40 of beans but I still would love to find a nice 40+ of a mixture of field and hardwood. We'll see how this year goes.

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All you can do is hit as many doors as possible. Offer to do some work around the farm in exchange to hunt. Offer the landowner some processed meat (important they know it’s already been processed). Explain it’s bow only. Offer to help look after the place. Just be friendly. Don’t send letters or call or send text messages either. Most of the landowners are old school and will respect a handshake much more. Good luck to you.

Okiebob and Rumchada1443 like this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When i was younger i knocked doors, I met a lot of good old farmer and eventually got permission to a nice old farm. I used to haul hay, mend fence and generally anything else that old coot that I owned the place asked of me. That old coot also turned out to be some of the best life guidance I ever received and a real friend.

w33kender, early in and Rumchada1443 like this.
  6. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its a numbers game, get out and shake some hands. Keep your ears open around town too you might overhear a farmer and be able to strike up a conversation. I did have luck with a letter once on a piece of property that was being held by a real estate company before development

Rumchada1443 likes this.
  7. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t overlook what other people do! I like to think small in some cases, properties close to town/city. 10 years ago I got permission to hunt a very small 6 acre parcel and within 3 years it grew to a 55 acre spot because the adjoining property owners were also tired of the deer eating their flowers and shrubs and saw all the work the original property owner was getting from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t overlook what other people do! I like to think small in some cases, properties close to town/city. 10 years ago I got permission to hunt a very small 6 acre parcel and within 3 years it grew to a 55 acre spot because the adjoining property owners were also tired of the deer eating their flowers and shrubs and saw all the work the original property owner was getting from me!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums