Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Getting fit for ELK HUNTING....who's doing it???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was speaking from first-hand knowledge, so I had to use the masculine pronoun.... ;)

:D

2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice....

Steve,
    I have on similar to what Greg posted up and my little ones love it. But I also ride mostly on paved trails we have around here so it make a difference. In you're situation, you may be better off with the "seat" that attaches to the bike, which would also be a little cheaper if you're trying to save a little.

3. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well....my 1st full month of training.....and I'm pretty pleased with my results. I had 34 separate training sessions in April, and that includes 5 days when I either took "off" or was unable to work out (due to a minor surgical procedure I had performed). I haven't been on a bike in 12days! It's killin' me! I'm hoping to get 30mi. in, tomorrow, after my swim lesson.

My totals for April:

Run - 54mi.
    Bike - 141mi.
    Swim - 10,950yds.

I'm hoping to get my swim workouts up to 1,200yds/per starting next week. And, hopefully I'll up that by 200yds/wk for the month of May. That should have me conservatively in the 18,000yds range for May. Swimming's still kicking my ass! I also want to get my cycling to 200mi. and my running to over 60mi. (for May).

192#, this afternoon.....going for 185# by 6/20. My body's changing before my eyes.

Good luck to all you guys in your workouts. And, good luck to Rybo, this weekend, in his half-marathon! That is a HUGE accomplishment!

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That'll work! Enjoy your new ride, Steve.

6. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's sweet Steve , enjoy the open tracks and sharing the experience with your Daughter too :) .

I'm not getting much in the way of cardio training due to work , but upper body strength is deffo improving and looking heaps better . My reasons for upper body strength necessity is that Elk are heavy and in 2008 my arms and shoulders after carrying Cavan's Elk rear quarter out the woods felt limp , I believe Upper body strength is vital and just as necessary as cardio and leg strength .

I walk up and down stairs all day while workin and that is where i'm spending most of my time at the moment .

Everybody , you are doing great , keep it up .

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK slackers..... last update was 3 weeks ago.
    The summer BBQ & picnic season is on us and it's only 3-3.5 months until we'll be roaming the rockies and we don't need that extra hot dog weight slowing us down. :)

Hope y'all are still working out.

I'm still runnning several days a week. Also using my fishing trips as exercise by covering lots of distance along the streams.

8. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just did 30 min on the stairmill on my lunch...at 94 steps/min...working my way up to 100 steps/min then increase time. Doing this 2-3 x/week, and run 3-4 miles 1-2 x/week on my lunches.

Weights and pushups/situps have only been 1-2x/week...but will gradually increase as well as add some before work walk/jogs with loaded pack...I can almost see the Rockies while I'm working out! :woot:

9. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Hell Rybo,
    I been climbing ladders, playing on scaffolding, and hanging by one arm swinging a hammer with the other.....I'm preparing for the WHAT-IF..... One jumps off a cliff and gets stuck in a tree for the last couple weeks....:D Just about done with this MESS, then back to working out. Hanging soffit, fascia and gutters by yourself is a PIA!!!! Last piece of gutter (46 feet) will require an assistant, but I've gone through about $2700 worth of aluminum if that gives any idea to the fun I've been having....:eek: Today, is the LAST day, then back to REAL working out....

Matt,
    That's a GOOD PACE, I'm usually try to keep 100-110 steps over 20 minutes and then I'm bored to tears and have to quit and do something else. Even watching ESPN or whatever on the TV can only keep me entertained for so long before I have to find something more "interesting" to do. Still a "3 Bow Challenge" on which bow I'm taking with me to hunt....but the Alphamax35 has a slight edge as I'm shooting it quite well, and it's a slight bit lighter than my Trykon XL. I'll almost feel like I'm cheating on my Trykon XL if I don't take it, yet, I REALLY like the AM35 a LOT as well.

10. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doug,
    I hear ya on the "Bored" issue...I was never one to use headphones/etc...and that 20-30 minute mark would get unbearable. But the wife bought me an Ipod shuffle for Valentines day...was kind of unsure about it...but man, it's changed everything. Nothing like some good tunes to keep you going...and sometimes when you get that right string of songs coming...you almost don't want to quit. Now I can barely workout without it - although if I am outside on the street I do not prefer it for safety reasons.

11. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Back to gettin' serious, I'm about 20# lighter than the first of the year, lingering in the 230# range, and gonna move my way down to about 215# over the next 6 weeks or so....:tu:

12. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go get 'em, Doug!

I had my supplemental workout this weekend... water skiid for the first time in a few years, with a bunch of tubing thrown in to boot... Good workout! :)

13. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Mt. Leconte, to the top in 2hrs. 35 minutes, 5.5 miles 2760ft altitude gain, w/ about 28# on my back, on a day that almost broke the record for temperature in that area....97*, felt really good, forgot an extra pair of socks, feet got a little blistered from being wet.....My nephew beat me to the top, but he also runs 6 miles a day, and he was only about 20 minutes ahead of me....:D

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That a boy Doug!!!