Getting fit for ELK HUNTING....who's doing it???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ryan: I thought about you last night (I was perusing some 5K/10K's). If you can do 10mi.....you can do the 1/2 marathon. I don't know what your goal is. But, I'm betting it's not to "just finish". I used to swim 1/2mi. in the AM's a couple days a week (25yrs ago). Now, the discipline I'm most anxious about is the swim portion of the sprints I wanna do. I know I'll be fine on the bike and run. My goal is to work up to 2X the distance of each, before the event (same day).

The beauty of all of this is not the competitive nature of it. It's the fact I'm already seeing results on the scale.......< 4wks in. I've got 12+ more weeks to train.

Doug:

Hate to hear about your dogs. Losing a pet (much less 2) is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. I hope they show.

Edit.....

Here's what I ended up getting. I'll pick it up, Friday. Cannondale CAAD 8

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    That looks like a nice ride!!!!

I got about 20minutes on the stepper in today and some weights, and some bathing of a couple dogs, and some walking in, putting up signs and stuff, not the workout I WANTED to get in, I suppose at this point, I'll just keep with a modified routine, and get started on the P90X fresh after Easter. Dogs are back, see "LOST DOGS" thread in the Water Cooler, I'm a little ticked over this one.

You guys are WAY too motivated for me, I don't see any triathlons or 5/10k runs in my future, but I'm not really into running either. Makes my knees hurt. Two ortho surgeons I worked with in the Army told me I was "too big" to run, I should ride a bike or use a stepper, and that's what Ive done, and my knees thank me for it. :D And I DID enjoy running, ran 2 miles in 13:10 at 225# while on active duty!!! But those days are a LONG time ago, and those knees were a lot younger!!!

Thanks for the kind words regarding the dogs, I was heartbroken until about 11:30 this morning.

And I still haven't weighed myself since I posted up that 247 almost a couple weeks ago, Friday I will again step on a scale.....

3. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Doug,
    Glad the dogs are back.

Jeff,
    I got a friend who's been a fitness freak all his life (mostly in regards to weight lifting), then a friend of his introduced him to biking and it was an instant addiction, because of how well he said it worked for him, and the cardio results he got. He certainly didn't need it for the weight loss, but he said it did wonders for his lung capacity.

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll let you know how it goes on the road bike. I'm picking it up, Friday. I'm planning to do a 25+mi. ride on Sunday......just to get pedaling.

I got in the pool for the first time in YEARS, yesterday, with the intention on swimming laps. Man, am I out of touch with proper form. It KILLED me to get in 12 lengths (300yds), and I was resting on most of those. I was able to do them all via forward crawl, though. I'm getting back in the water, tomorrow, with the intention on working solely on form. I'd like to work up to 600yds, by mid-June. I'm actually gonna take a lesson ASAP. I'm relegated to this......and I used to train lifeguards. Getting old(er) sucks.

We did 8mi. on the trails, tonight, on the mtn. bikes. Page is STILL a beast! I'm sorry I held him up as I did. He could have done it a lot faster. Me? I haven't been whooped like that in my memory.....doing anything physical.

I'll check back in, soon. I'm also gonna try to either do a spin session in the gym, tomorrow (when I get out of the water). Friday will likely be a day to do 20mi. or so on the bike.....and also get a second run in for the week. Saturday, my plan is to ride 15mi., meet my wife (who did 8+mi. on her bike, on the roads, tonight!) at her running class (she's training for another 5K)....and run with them (likely only 2.5mi). I'm looking forward to seeing how I do going from one discipline to the next.

Talk to you guys, soon.

j

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn!! You all are making me look bad!! I have zilch for time In the spring/winter/summer months, my job eats It up. I take my time off In the fall and work my ass off In the winter, spring, summer months. I will get myself a mountain bike though Jeff, It's In the works. A ride here and there Is all I'll be able to get done but I'm fine with that being there's not much I can do about It.

Good stuff you all.

6. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Steve,
    I hear ya, I'm doing fairly well, but I don't know where I can find the time to do too much more, having 2 little ones, one I'm "Daddy-daycare" for 4-5days/wk), working long (not as long as you, but long 13hours plus 2hours driving time 3x/wk) and not having anyplace right here close I can ride. I really need to drive to town to have SAFE riding areas, for my bike, plus it's still pretty wet and messy around here. I know, I sound like I'm making excuses, and that's because I AM!!!

On a positive note, I did get in the P90X cardio workout, some good walking, and some light weight lifting today, and I shot a three of my bows for a total of probably 100 arrows this morning. Gonna do the AB RIPPER again tomorrow.....:D Come on SIX PACK!!! And I've had only 2 beers all week, a MAJOR cut from my normal 3-5/day!!!

Weigh-in for me is Friday.........247 to ______???? We'll see.....:cool:

7. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL... good stuff, Doug. That cracked me up. :D

Remember that abs are made in the kitchen... to see your six pack, you're going to have to eat EXTREMELY clean. Of course, I'm well aware you're sorta kidding about popping those abs at this point.

Good to see you enjoying the "X" so far... Knocked out Cardio X this morning myself.

8. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Greg,
    On average, I've been about 800-1000 calories short of what would be a 1#/week diet according to Myfitnesspal.com. Tomorrow will be a telling day as it was about the "weight" side of it, but even one of the patients I took care of back around Christmas noticed I looked like I'd lost weight when she saw me last week. We'll see in about 24 hours. I know I feel a lot better, and I can definitely see results. I think while I'm away this weekend, I may run, as I have a nice pretty pond that is about 2/3 mile around that I could run around, so I may lace up my boots and put in 3-4laps both Saturday and Sunday mornings.......:eek: Boots because the ANKLE support I get from them is great, and they're comfortable enough I CAN run in them!!!

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those definitely sound like the boots you need to take to Colorado with you then! (Or wherever it is you're going to chase those majestic elk... :) )

Yeah, I remember last year when the pounds really started falling off fast for me and it was like an "Oh my God!" comment per day every time I ran into someone I hadn't seen in a couple months... those are good times! :D

10. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    P90X Ab ripper, some light weights, 15 minutes on the stepper, now I got to get moving, gonna head out of town for the weekend, and try to keep a couple good workouts in me. Have a GREAT and HAPPY EASTER guys, and remember what the day is about!!!!
    He has RISEN, and will come again to take us home!!!!

11. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Well, today was weigh-in Friday for me, I'll do this again in 2 weeks, thus far, I've dropped from 247 about 3 weeks ago to 236 right now. Another 20# would be nice. I've put about 1" on the arms and dropped about 4" off the waist, my quads are "quads" again, and my gut is looking like ABS again. Today is a GOOD DAY!!! I've been pretty strict on the diet, workout routine, and results are really starting to be seen!!! And I have much more energy than I did a couple months ago. Thank for your support guys!!! :D

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Doug. I just got home from my bike fitting....and I'm getting ready to do a 20mi. ride.....then a short run with my wife (really relaxed pace). If you wanna call what I do in the pool "swimming", I did a 1/4mi., this morning (resting, in between laps/lengths).

This swimming thing is kicking my ass. My goal is to work up to crawling 600yds, without stopping, by 6/13.

Good luck to everyone on achieving your personal goals.

**Edit....

The bike ride turned into a 10miler....lol. I felt like I was on a colt that was just itchin' to throw me! In NASCAR the adage is "loose is fast". Fast it is. I had my hands on the reigns a LOT! Even still, this bike made the run about 3mph faster (avg) than the mtn bike. If I let her run.....she'll run! Looking to get to an 18-20mph avg. in the coming weeks. If I can do that, I won't get lapped!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1st 10K, outside, today.

Followed that up with a 14mi. recovery bike ride.

14. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    You're way to motivated. I'm continuing a modified version of P90X, and some light weight-lifting and using my stepper. Hopefully in another 3 weeks, I'll be seeing 225#. I got my bike out and went over it, and put a couple slow easy miles on it yesterday. Took the kids for a ride, on their bikes which meant I spent more time riding in a circle than anything, but it's nice to get back on the bike again.

15. Countryboy95

Countryboy95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting fit for the next deer season and because I believe in good health. I'm lifting weights three days a week and i'm running every other day. I run around 3 miles a day and I also do ab exercises because I use an old Baker stand and a strong core will help get up that tree quick

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've swam 3X this week.....ran 1X....biked 2X (Sunday-Today). Got a 5mi. run planned for this evening.....back in the pool in the AM.......24mi. on the bike, tomorrow afternoon.....and I'll do a 5K race Sat. morning (and probably swim, again).

We burned 1,160cal's on our ride, Tuesday night (nearly 21mi.).

The pool is still my nemesis (rested some, but did a total of 600yds, this morning). But, I'm tackling it!

Good luck to everyone.

17. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You make me tired Jeff just reading what your doing, lol!

18. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, swimming kills me too. I can't swim more than 100m without a rest to catch my breath. It just slays me.

Doug, gaining 1" on your arms in that amount of time is crazy. Especially losing the weight you are and not lifting heavy weights. Congrats man!

I'm still lifting Mon, Wed, Fri but I finally am making myself (this is the second week) run and shoot my bow Tues, Thurs, and Sat. It feels really good, especially since the weather has been decent enough to be outside for the most part. I've really been focussing on my back at the gym. My goal is to do 20 true straight arm pullups in a row. I'm at 17 now which ties my record. Plus, the back muscles really help with shooting the bow I think. I'm still doing other muscle groups, I am just doing more with the back. Plus, my wife told me that my pecs were getting bigger than her boobs :)

19. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    That old BAKER stand is a DEATHTRAP if it's anything like the one I have out in my barn. Make sure you're wearing a harness!!!

Steve,
    I agree, I wish I had the time. Between this, that, and the other things, I am doing well to find an hour a day, let alone 2-3hours!!! Not as much the running as my knees just won't allow that anymore, but the rest of it would be nice. I can't swim though, it's just WAY, WAY too boring for me, regardless of how good of exercise it is, it's just bores me to tears. Especially if the water is HIGHLY chlorinated....:D

20. Hunting&Hockey

Hunting&Hockey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go to the weight room and try and run everyday for about 20 minutes and then do some weight lifting and i play ice hockey on Wednesday night

i also play raquette ball 3-4 days a week for 2 hours straight... thats an intense workout