Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Getting fit for ELK HUNTING....who's doing it???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Mar 5, 2010.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I might be regretting this one, but I did the Ab Ripper this morning........:eek: I did some light lifting, a little stepping, then put in the AB RIPPER DVD and DAMN, I'll be feeling this one tonight!!! I can see me losing another 2" off the waist in the next couple weeks if I follow this stuff!!! Now it's beddy-bye time cause I gotta get some stuff done this afternoon. Good workout after 13hours working, that's FO SHO!!! :D

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just rolled in from my 1st trip into the woods on the Mtn. bike. How's 1:15 of HIIT sound? I hope I can get out of bed in the morning.

You guys who do this a lot are beasts. My buddy Page weighs 155#, soaking wet.....and we rode with his father in law (who rode professionally for 30 yrs.....and is 60yrs old). BEASTS. I thanked 'em for allowing me to hold 'em up. I asked, when we finished, just how much I held 'em up.....and they relunctantly said they usually avg. +/- 11mph on the trails we rode.

Beasts.

Ordered clipless pedals, today. Can't wait. If I'd had 'em tonight.....I'd have eaten dirt 5-6 times.....lol. I missed a downshift and had to bail on one climb, about 20yds short. I'll take it.

Keep up the good work, guys. Rob.....great going. I'm for everyone bettering their fitness. Congrats.

3. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought clipless pedals for my Giant Rainier.... never put 'em on. Wished I'd known you were looking for a pair before you ordered them; I'd cut you a heckuva deal on them.

4. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    You'll build up to it Jeff, it's a tough thing to adapt to, especially all the shifting that you can be required to do. I haven't rode a true "mountain bike" trail in MANY years now, but they were a BLAST, and a truly GREAT workout. Also a nice way to check out new areas when the opportunity presented itself. Enjoy it and keep up the good workouts, it'll have you more ready for those mountains than you realize.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went running offroad again lastnight , only trouble with offroad is when you slip on mud and your foot goes between two big stones ..... it hurts . So I'm a little swollen round the ankle and achin like hell , gotta knock the running til I'm right again and just train my arms , shoulders and back till I'm good to go . Think I may steady up on the running a bit , as I'm shedding #lbs I don't wanna lose and think the bike will do my legs more good ( less chance of damaging myself too :) ).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from a 20mi. ride (road). I'm headed up the street, now, to a HS baseball game. I hope I can get out of my chair when it's over.

Only thing I can tell you about clipless pedals is........my hamstrings are SCREAMIN'.

I'm down 5# since the day I bought my bike.........18days ago.

7. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you Jeff, I've never tried the "clipless" pedals, not sure about them. I put 15 minutes on the stepper after a good light calesthenics and stretch, today. Abs are still a little tight from the Ab Ripper workout!!!! :eek:

8. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your work ethics are all impressive.

I just play sports and keep my hobbies (dirtbiking, football, helping out on a farm) to keep me in shape.

After going to our local Park out here, I drove by at least 30 or 40 elk. It sure made me excited to be out elk hunting this year. It almost made me really concentrate on getting in shape to possible help me reduce the hours I need to spend on a dirtbike which probably won't help my scent in anyway.

9. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Get a "indoor" job, and it puts a major damper on physical shape. Having a couple kids to watch don't help a whole lot either, but they're both getting old enough that I can start doing some things. I was 215# w/ a 32" waist graduating college........now I'm 247 last check w/ a 36" waist!!!! I'm trying to get back to that SHAPE, but 14yrs of neglect have been bad on my body. I used to work construction, and during the summers, I'd be as low as 180-185# and the 32" pants required a belt. But those days are OVER!!! Now it's about figuring out HOW to get back to that sort of shape. Hearing what other people are doing, and tracking what I'm doing help a fair bit as it keeps me directed towards a goal knowing others are as well. Knowing what those mountains are going to do to my body keeps me directed,. as well.

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL....I'm 195#, as of this AM....with a 36" waist. You must have a "V" like Charles Atlas!

11. IOWAHUNTER

IOWAHUNTER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not going elk hunting but have been eating less and walking 4.5 miles a day since early feb. Dropped 20#'s and feeling much beter. Next up quitting smoking.

12. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    The sooner the BETTER!!!! Smoking is probably as bad as OBESITY for causing health problems. Probably 95% of the patients I see under 50 w/ cardiac or vascular problems are smokers. The other 5% are just not very lucky. Many smokers, unfortunately, are like teenagers, they never believe it will happen to them until it happens to them, and sometimes HAPPENS to them = being DEAD!!! :eek:

Keep up the good work, and DROP those sneaky killers. It'll pay great dividends not only in health, but also in quality of life.

Jeff,
    I've got BIG legs, and broad shoulders. I don't wear anything but a 2XL shirt because it won't fit me right and ALL of my pants have to be LOOSE fit for my legs. I'm still a little CHUBBY to though, I cannot deny that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  13. IOWAHUNTER

IOWAHUNTER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ohbowhntr, wanted to work on one thing at a time so as not to set myself up for failure. Now that i've got into habit of excercising, i've noticed how much freaking cig's affect me. Calling my physician this week for chantix prescription. Appreciate the support, every little bit helps

14. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Got about 40 minutes of a P90X Back and Biceps and another 15minute on the stepper, along with about 10 minutes of abs this morning. I'm finally getting over the AB RIPPER routine I did the other day....WOW, that was a killer. I think I'll do it again tomorrow or Sunday....:D
    I've completely stayed away from the scale for almost 2 wks. now, I think maybe NEXT weekend, I'll re-visit the scale. My LAST weight was 247, up 7# in about 2wks, even though I'd done mostly cardio and light weights. According to "Myfitnesspal" I should be back below 230 by mid April if I keep this up. I'm also watching my diet better now as I'm tracking what I eat. I think that helps a little as well. Thanks for that link Greg, it's VERY helpful!!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  15. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No problem Doug, Rybo and others who've asked me about it.

That's what we're here for: to help each other out. Here's to hoping that we ALL get fitter and improve not only our hunting but the quality and longevity of our lives period.

16. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Good workouts today, 40 minutes of water aerobics, 20 minutes on the stepper, lifted some weights, and then I did the P90X Ab Ripper workout again tonight!!!! DAMN that's a TOUGH one...... But I feel better than I have in a good while. I've completed 1 FULL week of a "GOOD" diet, and "GOOD" working out, EVERY DAY!!! Damn this isn't so tough after all. TOMORROW, I'll start trying to follow the P90X routine.....If I can move....:D

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great stuff, Doug.

I did 4 rides, last week (and 9mi. on the treadmill). 16mi. road ride, then a 10mi. trail, followed by a 20mi. road ride (back to back days....which was NOT a good idea)......then 10more in the woods. I went down 4X on the last trail ride. I had NO business out there. It was raining and slick.

I'm checking into a really short triathlon sprint for June. If I do it and like it.....I'll do another one in July (5 wks between them). My goal is...."Finish". I'm going to look at a road bike, tomorrow.

18. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had construction jobs until 3 years ago when I got into real-estate. Working at a desk for 2 years didn't do me any favors. It also got too easy to eat out all the time. Now that I'm back in construction it has helped out big time. Although I may not look THAT out of shape, I'm sure I could use a fair bit of training to get me into hiking condition for the elk season.

19. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made it 10 miles this evening. Pretty happy about that, but I'm feeling good again after overcoming some stupidity that I really should have known better to avoid. Too far on the dieting + training hard don't mix.

20. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    OFF TOPIC:
    As a "tender (mortar mixer and block delivery guy)," I could keep 2 decent and one not so good block layer busy all day. I moved up to laying block, and we had a crappy tender, and I'd tend and lay both, got me in trouble, I ended up back "tending" as it was as beneficial to have a GOOD TENDER keep 2 1/2 block layers busy as it was to have 2 good block layers semi-tended while the third was busy tending for himself...... :confused: That'll teach me to put my best effort forth.....:D Still made decent money, and at the end of the day, had a pretty good sense of accomplishment. I don't get that too much in the medical field.

Back on....
    As far as working out, I didn't get much accomplished today, I spent a good bit of time trying to locate my dogs that disappeared on Saturday night, to no avail, which I felt was more important on a personal level.