Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Getting fit for ELK HUNTING....who's doing it???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great inspirations, guys. Jim...that's awesome. I've got a LONG way to go.

Keep the updates coming. It is an inspiration to some of us.

2. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Doug I haven't read the whole thread but I would just like to add the use the Treadmill and put the incline at its highest level (15 at most clubs) and the speed at about 2.1-2.5 and walk backwards. You will be surprised how much this will help you when you get out there. Yeah it will look odd and funny if you are a member of a health club but you won't regret it.

T

3. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After quickly looking over some maps of the ranch I'll be Muley hunting in North Dakota come November, I'll be getting into shape starting yesterday! It looks like some serious terrain with river bottoms, rolling hills and the badlands... I want to be ready! Thanks for the inspiration fellas!

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Peak - I'm not saying that isn't a good exercise. I'm just warning everyone to watch for shin splints if you do it.

5. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I remember you telling of getting the idea to run long distance backwards...you got em bad huh?

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Good call Jeff! Keep it nice and slow for sure.

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading to the Gym in the morning, I just might try it for schits'n'giggles. I don't like treadmills too much as they don't feel very stable. I was running on one in the gym, and it felt like it was going to fall apart with me running at 7.5mph. Just something about them I don't care for. But this walking backwards thing might be interesting.

8. trophyhill

trophyhill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    one other thing i might add is to get your mind in shape. for the less experienced guys like myself this is very important talking to alot of experienced guys and going over different scenarios that take place in the elk woods. learning how to "read the situation" and not only knowing how to call but when to call. once learning how to call, know what sounds to make and when to make them. "set up" is key and a close second to calling in every situation.

ElkNut1 on bowsite and A/T has what is called "The PlayBook" and dvd's that go over the main elk sounds, teaching what sounds to make and when to make them. he also has a couple more cd's coming out soon with even more sounds that elk make and the audio PlayBook. he also has other cd's and dvd's as well. these instructional dvd's are meant to teach us rookies and to help the experienced elk hunters alike. you can also find a few of his videos on youtube. i used a technique that is described in "The PlayBook" last season and killed my first elk in only my second season! The PlayBook and dvd's can take years off of your learning curve. just thought i'd share that with you all. good luck everyone.

9. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Just dont go fast at all. 2.5 max. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken to running off road ( 3miles at the moment , but will extend that to 5-6miles ) , which is hardwork and makes you muscles work a bit harder . 100 press ups , 60 chin ups for back muscles and 100 medium weight arm curls for arm strength , i walk up and down stairs all day and thats me done . Feel great and my recovery time is is almost instant .

KEEP IT UP GUYS :)

11. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome Dave! Are you working on that talking in your sleep thing you had going last time? I would hate to have you reveal more of your love life than necessary! Who is Nancy by the way? And man, you owe her an apology!

Good to see you guys taking it seriously.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I surely think that anyone able to do all that in one day without dieing would be in damn fine shape. I am not going elk hunting, but I have started to run a mile 3 mornings a week and just bought a mountain bike to supplement that. We'll see where it takes me.

13. newguy

newguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    3 weeks ago I guit smokeing ( I already amd starting to feel better) and I walk alot. I have always walked and enjoyed hikeing and hunting in the mountians.Without smokeing I will enjoy it more. I also started lifting weights twice a week for 30 minutes and will increase that to 3 times a week for an hour in 8 weeks.

14. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Quitting smoking is the BEST thing you could do for your health!!! Keep away from those things and the rest of your life will be a BETTER life indeed.

I have P90X ordered, should be here Tuesday, something that I can use to motivate ma and keep it mixed up can ONLY be good for me.

15. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    P90X arrived today, I got in about 30 minutes of the plyometrics but had to cut short because I really needed a nap before working all night tonight. Gonna look it over and figure out where to start. I didn't realize it's a 7-day a week commitment. Working 13 hours and having an hour drive to and fro is gonna probably put a damper on my ability to put in the full workout, but I'm gonna put my best effort forth. Gotta have my beach body by July 10th. And my MOUNTAIN body by September 10th or so.... :D

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Newguy.....MAD props for quitting smoking!

Doug......Whatever it takes, buddy. I wish I'd know you were looking for the P90 program.

I'm trying to figure out a routine I can live with. I know I'm having much more fun mixing things up....than I had ONLY running. I don't dislike running. I don't like it, either. It's a means (and a damned good, proven one) to an end.

Last week....I did a little over 8mi., running.....and a little over 26mi. on the bike. Hoping to make it to 40mi. (total) this week. I also did a core session workout (1X). I'd like to get to 50-60mi./wk. (bike and running). I've come out of the gym, from an intense lifting (OK....intense, for ME...lol) session and been so drained I didn't know if I could drive home. Nothing's come close to that kind of workout........until I bought the bike. It absolutely drains me (currently doing 16mi. rides in around 1:10).

I ordered clipless pedals, today (and shoes). Hopefully, I'll become more efficient. We're heading to the woods, tomorrow evening. I'm expecting to come home.....jelly.

Keep up the good work, guys. I'm expecting the #'s to start shedding any time, now. I'm only 3wks in.

17. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    For me it's nice because there are lots of times I'm "homebound" with kids, and or at night when I'm up, I can get a workout in. Not to worry, I'm gonna be mixing it up when I'm up and about riding my bike and stuff here shortly. And I got a couple trips planned to get some hiking in down in WV around the Spruce Knob area as well. I can't run, it just don't do it for me. So this might be a good alternative along with some biking.

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've logged on to myfitnesspal (thanks Greg) and it really helps you to pay attention to all the little snacky junk that adds up. You can track food & exercise thru it. I had already been tracking exercise on my own, but this helps me to not eat because I'm bored, which I do alot.
    Otherwise I am still hiking/jogging/yoga to varying degrees, with the focus heavily on jogging still.

19. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight I'm starting my 3rd round of P90X but hybrid. I think I'm going heavy weights for a week and then a P90x week and then back to iron.(Keeping the PlyoX, YogaX and Kenpo for cardio) Now that I'm leaner, I'm going to "try" to put some bulk on.

I had some blood work done this morning along with a generic physical that our company asks of us in return, they pay us. I hadn't done it since 08 and all my "bad" numbers were way down and where they should be. Made me happy. I also added 4" to the stretch test. Thank you YogaX. Oddly, my weight was more than in 2008 with me being much leaner. That's also good news. I could care less what I weigh in at as long as it's lean muscle. I'd actually like to gain weight or maintain with more mass. My waist is as thin as it's been since I was 18 easily. At 43, I'll take it. ;-)

Keep up the great work everybody.

20. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well done Rob!!!