Getting fit for ELK HUNTING....who's doing it???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OHbowhntr, Mar 5, 2010.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I been to the gym twice this week, and walking in the woods a couple times, I shovelled more snow in the last month that at any point ever in my life I believe, but now I'm starting to get SERIOUS!!!

15minutes on the exercise bike at level 17 of 20, burned about 250calories, then 12 minutes on a stepper (FIT TEST only got my HR up to 120 = OUT OF RANGE :D ), some abs, light weights, and probably 250 or so swings in the batting cage. I can tell you that hitting balls in the cage was certainly the MOST FUN part.

So what are you guys doing, planning to do in the future to "get ready???"

2. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doug,

Now that's the "taking it to the next level" I'm talking about! The hard work will pay big dividends! Awesome-keep it up! You have inspired me to turn it up starting today.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Does it have to be for an elk hunt? I'm just plain getting fit. Round 2 of P90X is a week from completion and I'm jumping right into round 3 couple with some more Iron. I've honestly haven't felt better in the last 20 years.

4. Frank / Pa

Frank / Pa Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am with you Capt sexy. I just joined a DEK Hockey league with a bunch of 20 year olds. This is my start to getting back in shape.

5. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    CRAM IT ROB, if you're not going ELK HUNTING......GET OFF THE TRHEAD!!! :mad:
    :D Good to hear, I've considered getting the P90X program, just haven't pulled that trigger yet. I've heard NOTHING but GOOD about it, might be something I need to look into. You're in pretty good shape for an OLD guy anyhow though.....:eek:

Frank,
    I'd LOVE to have been able to learn to play hockey as a kid, I could see that being a sport that I'd have TRULY enjoyed. Never learned to ice skate though, and I don't think there was anywhere to play hockey within an hour or more of me growing up. Foorball and Indoor Soccer were as close as I was gonna get, and indoor soccer was a ball as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's great that your getting in shape and all that but nothing can prepare you for the lack of O2. Just remember that when you get out there and you feel like you just did 50 flights of stairs and only went 20 yards:D Climb as many hills as you can find. Good Luck

7. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    TRUST ME, I know. But at the same time, I found that riding a bike at high energy pace, really did GREAT things for me last year. I was putting in an hour full go ride 3-4x/wk before I went, and my legs NEVER bothered me a bit until I tried to slide down a canyon wall, and rolled an ankle up. But being in a little better shape helps w/ the acclimation. I went w/ a buddy who didn't work to get in shape in '05, and there were a couple days, he never got out of the tent until noon, because he was so beat!!! My legs hurt that time around, but I survived. Last year, I "really" was in SHAPE!!! And it made a BIG difference. I think that is part of what makes a big difference in knowing to go easy, and slow, yet keep going the first couple days.....seems like after about 48hours the body acclimates pretty well, and then it's not as much as a killer.

The guys who've never been at this altitude will feel it for sure, and those of us who have been at that altitude will fell it, just maybe not quite as bad as we sort of know what to expect.

8. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO! I shed hunt with my elk pack, hike with my pack and spend alot of time breaking in my boots on steep terrain rather then flat ground. Mountain biking, jogging, but very little if any wieight lifting...My elk pack loaded and push-ups are enough. CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO...Most important

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be at 185 and in the best shape of my life when I get to CO in Sept. I've got about 12#'s to lose....and that'll be lighter than I've been in nearly 30yrs.

Concentrating about 85% on aerobics.

Good luck to all you guys.

10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right now my workouts are heavily leaning towards jogging because I have a half marathon to get thru in 8 weeks. I do yoga on my off days, or after some of my short runs. Once that is all over, I will continue to run, but this year I plan to incorporate much more loaded pack hiking and weave up & down our hilly terrain.

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff ol' Blue Eyes!! (Better known as Booth Eye Candy to the BT staff... ;) )

I'm in the middle of doing the same as Rob... two back-to-back rounds of P90X this summer... I'll finish my second round the same week we pull out the driveway for Colorado.

12. AK907

AK907 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not for elk but for sheep. I was walkin my 5 mile trapline with a heavy pack every week but thats all over now. So I've just been out in the woods hiking.(without snowshoes) I was told by my boss that there may be an opening on a Dall Sheep hunt this fall and if his kid cant get work off I can have his spot if I save up the money. Can't say no to that!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  13. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Apart from walking around 20 miles a day at work each day not much;)

14. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:

20miles a day??? Will the MALL be ok without security there for a couple weeks while you hunt??? :D

15. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like if I'm gonna be too worried about it while I'm hunting:D

16. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well April 7th will be one year on my diet.....clothes don't fit and feel absolutley great ! It took me less than 4 months to loose 40 pounds and I have keep it all off.

P90X I have heard alot about, it sounds like the exercise we will be doing to "tone" up and get ready for elk season !!!

Now I just need to NMG&F to pull my name one more time:D

17. grantbvfd

grantbvfd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to never loose it. It way easier to stay fit than try to back pedal and get back in shape. 30 minutes of intense cardio a day and watching what I eat and I'm ready for chasing the bugles anytime!

18. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good for you guys. I've not gotten serious about it yet.

Cycling and mountain biking are my preferred methods of exercise and the weather hasn't cooperated very much for doing so. That and along with a hectic work schedule and other family obligations.

But excuses run rampant don't they. Thanks for the reminder....it is time to get started.

I've got 9 pounds I want/need to lose by the end of August as well as lots of cardio and muscle toning/strengthening.

I am already at about 4000' elevation where I live and while that is a far cry from 9000'and higher, it is certainly easier for me to acclimate than some of you guys that live at 300' or less.

19. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, you guys haven't had the greatest winter months either.

QUOTE=jackflap;181654]Good for you guys. I've not gotten serious about it yet.

Cycling and mountain biking are my preferred methods of exercise and the weather hasn't cooperated very much for doing so. That and along with a hectic work schedule and other family obligations.

But excuses run rampant don't they. Thanks for the reminder....it is time to get started.

I've got 9 pounds I want/need to lose by the end of August as well as lots of cardio and muscle toning/strengthening.

I am already at about 4000' elevation where I live and while that is a far cry from 9000'and higher, it is certainly easier for me to acclimate than some of you guys that live at 300' or less.[/QUOTE]

20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    spending most of my time on treadmill and stairmill (have to say the stairmill is a great workout). Mix in some weights a couple times a week after the cardio. Pushup 3-4 evenings per week also.
    Last thing to do is start some loaded pack workouts soon...and keep pushing exercises up a notch. Being my first Elk hunt this fall - I really enjoy having something on the horizon to keep me motivated in my workouts...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010