Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Game Warden Behavior

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Jan 22, 2010.

1. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that Conservation officers catch a lot of poachers and law breakers and that is fine.I had a Game Warden come and check up on me one day while I was hunting this season.

I don't have a problem with being checked up on. On the other hand, I only have 1 day a week to hunt which I cherish greatly. I've never actually seen too many game wardens in the woods. Most of them around here will wait for you to get back to your car to check your license. I didn't think it was necessary for the officer to come to my stand at prime time in the evening just to check my license . She could have waited till I got out of the woods and not ruined myh hunt for the evening. at first I was ok with this, but then I became a bit angry that I pay $140.00 for an out of state license to not be able to enjoy the only day I have off because she ruined my hunt. Am I wrong here? Am I missing something? If you wanna check wait for me by my car! Is that too much to ask for?

One more thing. I was using my climber and I was off the beaten path. I would love to know how in the world she found me.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, that sucks! You should have asked HER how she stumbled upon you?;)

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think she should have waited for you to finish your hunt. Then again, who knows what her agenda was? Bottom line is......... you have to take the bad with the good, unfortunately.

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is someone tipped her off (to your whereabouts).

I've never heard of someone being walked up on, here.....but it probably happens. Check that. I know of one instance. The GW was tipped off to a hunter baiting turkeys. That one didn't end well. The GW ended up killing the hunter (justifiably). I'm pretty sure that happened last spring, here.

5. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I just didn't want it to turn into a big argument in the woods and make more noise so I lowered my license from the stand and She left shortly after wards.

6. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    I did text a buddy and he thought it was strange and says that a hunter up the road always does call and say people are poaching the property when they're not. I could not imagine hurting anyone over a hunt though.

7. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Flagging tape?:D

8. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    No flagging tape or bright eyes. Just the old noggin!

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The GW didn't shoot the guy for hunting over bait. A LEO wouldn't kill someone for double-parking, either.

10. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I know what GMMAT is talking about...

Was that the old timer, hunting on his own property?

He started getting mouthy with the GW, then did something very stupid...right?

11. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    I know that. I was assuming the guy was pointing his weapon towards the game warden and arguing with him and it was escalating to where the game warden felt threatened.

12. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She more than likely had infared glasses. Ya I would have chewed her a new ass for spoiling my hunt. But that's just me.:D

13. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would be the one.

14. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't he shot in front of a family member, if I remember correctly? Seems like I read that...either on here or at HNI. Scary how a simple game violation could escalate that quickly.

15. fishmonger

fishmonger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ask for her ticket book and write her a citation for interfering with a lawful hunt :D

16. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BBM....I'm actually not sure if a family member was present or not. In reality, though.....he gave the warden no choice. I'm sure the GW didn't go there looking for trouble. It could have ended peacefully, easily enough. He likely died over a $500 or so fine.

17. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's weird here how you'll be out in the middle of nowhere in Alaska and all of a sudden this little supercub on floats comes bombing into your lake and presto! There's a trooper in your camp. I've been checked out in the bush in Alaska more than I've been checked on the road system here around town.

18. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The GW's we have had the last few years are too lazy to get out of the vehicle unless they have a personal vendetta against you. I have never had any type of violation and did work undercover to bust a poaching ring back in the 90's

The GW's job is a hard job, if they do it correctly.

I think unless she was tipped off to think something illegal was going down, she should have waited at the vehicle to check your license.

Dan

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been checked in the woods, in a field in a layout of goose dekes, heck this past season I was even flagged down and stopped while I drove down the road.
    Only when I was checked while goose hunting was my hunting interupted. In fact several hundred geese came flying up behind the wardens.. which was kind of funny because the wardens asked "are you seeing any??" right as the huge flock came into view.

As few CPOs as we have, I'm always happy to see them. But I could understand being unhappy if the warden walked up to your stand. Mostly around here, they scope you out with binoculars. (which makes me extra paranoid about ever relieving myself in the woods)

20. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Christine,

There was a new product released at the ATA for women to help out in that area... some type of rubber bladder-looking doohickey that allowed you to keep standing.

Just FYI....

:D