Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Game and Parks and warrantless access

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Oct 23, 2024 at 9:44 AM.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This has been briefly discussed before, I even think part of one of the now defunct Pinch Point Pod touched on this.
    Should Game and Parks have warrantless access to private land just to search/check things out?

I would argue no, what say you?

https://ij.org/case/pennsylvania-fish-cops/

I am NOT trying to get people to donate to this, this is just the most succinct way to post all the info from this particular case

My view: Game and Parks is a law enforcement department and should be bound by all the same constraints as any other LEO. I respect their role and the difficulty that probably do encounter when trying to perform their duties, but private property is private property.

I think on the Pinch Point the example was Game and Parks just walked onto the private land and took the trail camera? In my own personal experience there was a game and parks guy that would walk into the private land my family was hunting EVERY TIME he saw a truck at the pull in, just walked in, no orange, no announcement of presence until at the stand asking to make sure people were hunting within regs.

With no reasonable suspicion of a crime no LEO, or any type, should be allowed to enter private property.
    And with hunting there would be a very high threshold to pass for reasonable suspicion because you will hear gun shots, you will hear movement, you will see vehicles parked all over, etc etc.
    In fact MeatEater did a podcast where they talked about suppressors and they asked a bunch of game and parks their views, and the best answers were something like - a gun shot during hunting season is not a suspicious thing and would not begin any type of investigation by itself.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you. Walking on my property. Seizing my stuff. Disrupting my hunting. All problems.

Sota likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    CO's have much more "power" LEO in Minnesota.

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yup, Same here ^^^^ ours have the same powers of State Police PLUS the all the Fish & Wildlife laws/regulations ... as for a CO just walking on to private, I am mixed on that ...