G5 Montec's

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Mjohn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Montec for three seasons. I killed 5 deer with them and I can honestly say that I only had to track one of them. The blood trail on that one was not the greatest I'd ever seen but it was reasonable and I recovered my animal with no problems. The other 4 died before they were out of sight. I always had to sharpen the blades after taking them out of the package but I was able to get them very sharp with little effort. Two of the deer that were killed seemed as though they didnt even know what happened when I shot them. By that I mean they would make a quick little jump and then slowly walk a few steps and fall over dead. The only reason I don't still shoot them is my dad bought me two packs of rage hypo's because he got them cheap on ebay. By the way, love those too!

2. AK archer

AK archer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5 Montec 100 grainers, worked well for me I have killed moose in the past years with them and a nice P&Y Grizzly last year at 19 yards, complete pass thru both lungs, and he piled up at 50 yards, no tracking involved. I like them and will continue to use them on most big game up here in AK. I don't use them on deer or caribou.

3. spartanhuntr

spartanhuntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am reading this thread because this year I lost my first buck. I thought I smoked him. In fact, I went through the whole process of going back and grabbing the kids, video camera, field dressing tools, etc. Initial blood was ok. It turned to great at about the 20-30 yard mark including a Frisbee sized puddle. And then, at about 40 yards it was gone! No more blood. I was so sick to my stomach I almost quit for the season (I did stay in for two weeks). I thought I had a heart shot and the blood dried up, never found the buck (even used a tracking dog). So...I am starting to question my Montec's.

I have used them for years. With many successes. But, when I reflect on each those kills I just now realize that the blood trails were never great. But, it didn't matter because the deer all piled up around 50-60 yards in to the woods. I needed just a trickle and I tripped on them.

So, maybe it is time for me to change???? I will stick with fixed blades but really going to evaluate Striker's, Slick Trick's and Muzzys.

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had any problems with mine. I switched to Montecs about 5-6 years back and I've killed 4 deer with them. The typical track distance out of those 4 deer was 35 yards, the shortest was 5 yards. I did have one go a bit further due to a low quality shot, but I still found the deer.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like the injection molding they use to to build them, they are weak and do not take a razor sharp edge.

That said I love the design in theory. A solid one piece easy to resharpen head.

VPA solved any issue with montecs. VPA head are Machined from a solid piece of tool steel. They are much tougher and the high carbon steel they use take an easy edge with a flat stone. They are night and day better then montec for the same price. They are an excellent value in broadheads.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Trial said...but I have had great results from the Hellrazors. I tried the Montecs and broke one out of the first set in a foam target...they looked like pot metal crap to me so I never used them. I've never had anything negative happen with the Hellrazors and they seem to resharpen just fine.

7. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the carbon steel montac takes a nice edge. have since shifted to slick trick regular but wouldn't hesitate to use the carbon steel montec.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What this man said. . Lol. I finally listened to him and tried VPA.

Sent from my SM-S820L

9. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot 3 whitetail with the G5 montec.. I got 3 complete pass through and they all had great blood trals that were easy to follow. I do agree they aren't the sharpest broadheads out there, but they fly true, are durable and ultimately get the job done.

10. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've recently purchased a 3pk. of G5's. True, they aren't razor sharp out of the pack, but with dedicated time, good stones, they can be sharpened to shave hair. My expericience with these heads, are, they fly true, very sturdy, retains their shape from hitting hard dense objects, no planing from heavy winds. So far, I haven't had any kills with'em, but they have done a hellified job on my target!

11. ICSFreak

ICSFreak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    lots of good info here guys. I have been using rage 2 blade since I started bow hunting. I have made a switch to the g5 montec. I must say every package must be different, the ones I have are extremely sharp. they look like they are well made. cant wait to try them out.