G5 Montecs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 2xlung5h0t, Jan 7, 2012.

1. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so with 1 week left in our whitetail season I have finally used up all my Rage 3s. I bought 6 and have put them all through some deer. Don't get me wrong I like the concept and the pin point accuracy of the Rages but I don't like the cumbersomeness of them. I switched to the G5 Montecs because that look extremely solid and durable. Hopefully with the next cold snap I'll get to test them out. I've got 1 buck tag left and 5 doe tags left <gotta love GA regulations> and I hope to sling some more sticks this week.

Any one have any pro's or con's of the G5 Montecs? Anything I should be aware of?

Good luck to those out there closing out the late season strong!!

2. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pros good penetration, extremely durable, fly well
    Cons hard to sharpen, cs montecs tend to rust
    Overall I like them but I prefer slick tricks because of the replaceable blades. If your better at sharpening them than I am I think you'll be impressed

3. 2xlung5h0t

Dislikes Received:
    thanks! i didn't get the cs montecs just the montecs. When it comes to sharpening would a standard sharpening stone work? like for a knife?

4. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes a flat stone would work fine. But I personally couldnt get them as sharp as I would like.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. 2xlung5h0t

Dislikes Received:
    gotcha .. ive got a pretty good flat stone at the camp that we use to sharpen our knives .. thanks

6. Rabbit 57

Rabbit 57 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any one have any pro's or con's of the G5 Montecs? Anything I should be aware of?

You have absolutely nothing to be concerned about. I've use them for 3 seasons on 9 deer. Even pierced through shoulder bone on one buck. I took a 3" square chunk out of the left shoulder. Hit the the right leg bone where it meets the shoulder and reflected down further into the cavity.:biggun:

Test shot its accuracy to bulls eye at 50 yards. Tested it at 30 yards shooting through the screen on my ground blind. Bulls eye again.

If you get the G5 Diamond Stone, the blades sharpen even sharper than out of the package in a left-to-right motion.

I have 18 of them. I also use T3's. One buck down with that. Nicked the vertebra breaking off one of the blades. Buck ran 50 yards jumping a fence and died as so as he hit the ground on the opposite side.

Get them! Get them! Get them!:rock:

7. Rabbit 57

Dislikes Received:
    No You need the G5 diamond stone. one side 750 grit the other 1200 grit.

8. Rabbit 57

Dislikes Received:
    What sold me, my bow technician at Buck Stop shot them through, and I do mean through a steal grease barrel. Not a bucket. But a barrel.

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used them for 3-4 years now. Don't have a bad thing to say about them. Great BH.

10. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used Montecs for 6 yrs and yes they are a great head and have killed many deer and a couple of bear with them. I have the ability to get them shaving sharp. The only downside I have experienced(and read many reports of) is that there tends to be very light, if nonexistant,blood trails. This is not what you want if there is a marginal hit. I switched to their T3's and the blood trails have been massive.

11. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive heard the stone from g5 wasnt that great. But if you think its better than a regular stone maybe i'll give that a try because other than not being able to get them sharp I really like them. Although as durable a they are why would you have 18 of them?

12. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot them at an animal but I did try them last year just prior to the season and I was impressed with the way they flew. I'll be switching from slick-tricks to them this next season.

Blessings......Pastorjim