G5 Expert II

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Jun 22, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody here still use this rest? I know it's a discontinued model but I'm not sure for how long.

My son has one on his bow and it seems to be a simple, solid, high quality rest. Much higher quality than my QAD Hunter. I worry a little about hunting with one due to its lack of arrow containment outside of a holder that sticks on the shelf.

I'm tempted to pick one up. There are still a few new ones left on ebay for a reasonable price.

Anybody have any info they can share?

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about the G5. Sorry I'd never seen it before you posted this so I don't have any experience. My personal opinion would be to upgrade to the QAD HDX Ultra rest. I've used one going on my 3rd year hunting and never ever had an issue. Amazon has them in black for $100. I know NAP also makes some good drop away rests but honestly I don't think you can beat the QAD HDX for $100.

Amazon.com : QAD Ultra-Rest Pro HDX Drop Away Rest RH Black : Qad Arrow Rest : Sports & Outdoors

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The HDX would be my first choice as well and it will probably be my permanent upgrade in the future.

However, right now I'm also wanting to add some new stands, and upgrade my binoculars as well so my thought was that an older model rest could get me the quality of a $100+ rest for a fraction of the cost and allow me to still do some of my other upgrades that I consider more important because there really isn't anything wrong with my Hunter rest.

4. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a G5 C-Max drop away rest I'm looking to part with.
    Whats your price range? PM me.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had an Expert II on my old Bear Element. It is quiet and never failed. No containment so if you let down you better be prepared to stop the arrow from clattering off the riser.

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I got one off eBay for a song which is to be expected considering it's age. Mounted it today and first impression is good. It was easy to set up and the micro adjustments makes it easy to dial in.

The stick on arrow holder provides adequate enough containment for my arrow when the bow is at rest and by setting my D-loop a little bit nock high, I have no problems with the arrow wanting to hop or fall off the launcher while drawing/holding.

Some more shooting and fine tuning will tell the final story but early indications are that I have once again found exceptional value in a discontinued high end product.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. Like I said be careful if you have to let down. I had issues with the arrow falling off the launcher letting down.