Fruit Tree Selection

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Team Haastyle, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Every year I install around 50 or so fruit trees whether be on my properties or client properties. I have typically done Bartlett pear, Honeycrisp, Red Delicious, Wolf River, and Dolgo Crabapple for my trees. Just seeing what other trees you are using and recommend based on your own observations. TIA!

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So if thinking fruit I've never been short of impressed with Whitetail Crabs selection (business name used to be something else but cannot rememebr now).
    - The 30-06 crab has been a stellar grower in its short life in my ground. Mid/late producer...I'm in year two in the ground I believe it was and already had a couple crabs this season (it has numerous other apple varieties within 100 yards or less). Excellent resistance to all the main issues like CAR, fireblight and scab. The apples are tick bigger than most dolgo size i've seen but think smaller than chestnut crabapples if any experience with them.
    - The Droptine offering will remind many people of the dolgo. Similar resistance to the 30-06 just maybe a tick less across the board but still good.
    - His Redfield Apple/Crab Cross is on my list for this next year somewhere...may not even see the thing mature if I end up selling my place but still unknown so will shove some more in the ground. Very hardy and resistant and a few friends/clients that have them in ground SWEAR they're a favorite. Disease resistent, and excellent cider tree if in to that...the one guy swears his are bigger than his chestnut apples while the other says similar. Either way bigger apples than crabs and smaller than the tradition redfield slightly.
    -Crossbow...I have one of these in the ground off farthest from rest which was by design as it is self polinating. A very HARDY/STURDY tree that stands up to bears once mature very well given growth style is a claim. A denser limb style tree than many apples helps in production even if pruning neglect happens.
    -Sheepnose Apple....this is one I'm going to try also this next year...the unique trait of it is how uniform yet DENSE this tree naturally grows and seems to yet not impede any kind of production.

Liberty and Enterprise trees are both on my landscape and both now 4 years in or so starting to produce for me. Big apples for sure not a crap, but both have disease resistance qualities that given all my cedar trees I have to have. Neither are deep into winter holders but offer that late summer/fall/late fall time frame depending on the tree you get.

Arkansas Black is a solid tree to have mixed in an apple orchard. They will not assist in pollination but must have cross pollination to produce...but once they produce they are some of the hardiest larger apples out there with some clinging through snowtime. Ripens in October...but again some may cling for a while.

Chestnut Crabapples - this is one of my favorites as it is nearly a full size apple but not...pollinates everything like a crabapple, disease resistant, prolific grower in year two after a year of root setting, ONLY "downside" to some is by October about 90% of the fruit will be dropped most likely. They however can be the apples that get deer checking the fruit plot in late summer/early fall while the others mature and ripen...just like pear trees can be depending on the type.

Team Haastyle likes this.
  3. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Ty for the info! Will definitely check out their stuff! Have you done much with Pears, persimmons, etc.? I have some bartlett that the deer crush, but hate that they rot so dang quickly.

4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Mine are still maturing and not fruiting yet, but supposedly Asain Pear varieties cling longer and are for sure a hardy meat/fleshy pear - few clients over the years swear by theirs. Pear just have more sugars and breakdown faster for sure it seems.

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Chestnut if you have space, grape if you have fencing not near trees. Hybrid persimmon check out chestnut hill. Seckle pear. A clumping tree sassafrass, buck love rubbing these and they will produce a berry. Main thing is as a rubbing tree. It replaces it's self and grows fast.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't expand the discussion outside the fruit trees....cuz I don't need to get distracted sharing all my favorites LOL

jonderrs7 likes this.
  7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well if that is the case do late season peaches and the chestnut hill persimmon. I was given one 3 years ago by accident and this past seasonhad12 fruit fully develope.. they were stripped immediately. It was the only persistent monthat fruited. I also haveseveral Americans and acouple of Meader.The deercandy one has done the best.
    Peaches because they can be heavy producers that will draw Deering early and set them up to come back looking for more later treats