From duck hunting to deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ddiscon1015, Jul 2, 2013.

1. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man. I started shooting a gun for ducks, geese, pheasant, and quail when I was 9. Together my dad and I started turkey hunting when I was 13 or 14. When I was 16 I shot a rifle for the first time and knew I wanted to hunt deer. But I picked up a bow instead. ;) one day I'll get my dad to go sit in the blind or double stand with me to hunt deer. He loves shooting my bow but doesn't know about sitting there without his coffee.

But duck hunting has always been my pride and joy. Just seeming them suck in on a sunny day, nothing beats it. I've got great places to shoot mallards in Kansas and while you may find me in the stand until the rut or thanksgiving, once December hits and it freezes up I'm out chasing the green heads.

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started duck/goose hunting when i was 8. I didn't start deer hunting until i was 18. Waterfowl is still #1 on my book. I love spending time with my father in the blind. Once the late waterfowl season comes in Dec. Deer hunting is put on hold. Last seson we harvested 86 geese and 124 ducks. Our duck harvest was lower then previous years but our geese was higher then ever. we normally shoot around 140+ ducks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One thing to note is where I am, a good duckin' day is generally a bad deer hunting day. And vice versa. In general.
    Though I've seen the biggest buck ever seen on the farm in the middle of a hurricane in the middle of a field.