Fred Bear is rolling over in his grave

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dan, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    And cursing WI.

Wis. Act 180 - Assembly Bill 377 – Taking Rough Fish with a Crossbow

Effective: April 17, 2012, any person, regardless of age and without the need to be disabled, may use a crossbow for taking rough fish. All the same laws & rules which apply to taking rough fish with a bow and arrow also now apply to taking fish with a crossbow. A fishing license is required if age 16 or older. Youth under age 16 may also use a bow or crossbow for taking rough fish (no minimum age to use a bow or crossbow for fishing). A special permit authorizing the use of a crossbow is not required.

This Act also amends the definition of “rough fish" to include “Asian carp”, and not just common carp. Asian carp (other than common carp, goldfish and koi carp), such as the Bighead, Black, Silver and Grass carp are still considered a prohibited invasive species under Ch. NR 40, Wis. Adm. Code, meaning they may not be possessed live without an Invasive Species Permit. Being defined as a rough fish allows anglers to legally fish for and take Asian carp by spearing, hook & line, setlines, bankpoles, dip netting or by hand when such methods are authorized for other species of rough fish. The NR 19.05 (3) restrictions against transporting live fish and the NR 40.04 restrictions on possessing live or viable prohibited invasive species still applies, requiring anglers to kill such fish that are taken into their possession. Once dead, anglers may keep their dead Asian carp, and the sale and purchase of such fish is also allowed as it is for other species of rough fish. It is not lawful to transport any live fish away from the waters, banks or shore of a waterbody. accomplished on the carcass, including at least removal of the skin.

2. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Odd how the pro crossbow threads increase when there is a crossbow banner at the the top of the page.:poke:

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What's funny is, I had to hit refresh about 9 times to see what you were talking about.

Conspiracy theories are great though.

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand what you're talking about........... so what if you can shoot rough, nuisance fish with an x-bow?

5. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    fred had no idea what a asian carp would or could do. they have ruined the rivers here in MO. and should be killed at all cost with any means possible and there headed north. This is in no means a rough fish it is a plague much like the zebra mussel. Good luck!

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm confused. So they are allowing crossbows to try to eradicate a nuisance fish from the rivers of Wisconsin and the Pro Crossbow contingent is peeved?

If it were my state, I don't care if they legalized dynamite to kill those fish.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Either my reading comprehension skills suck, or yours do. :p I have no idea where you got that idea from.

8. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure but I believe the thread topic is dripping with sarcasm.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's certainly implied from the title of your thread. :busted:

I'm sure the crossbow anti's don't care if people use them to shoot fish. It's only when they start shooting their deer during their season that they get upset.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I gotcha. I was making light of Schulzy's comment in the thread "The Great Crossbow Debate."

It was a horrible joke that went wrong. Lash me. :whip:

Agreed and is the point of my thread and has been proven with only a few responses to this thread.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  11. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And that, kids, is why you shouldn't do drugs.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    :tu:....

13. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    OK, I'm following ya Dan. :lol:

I see you're point. But there is a HUGE discrepancy between trying to remove a species of animal that is destructive and/or invasive and for example, sport hunting for deer, turkeys, bears, etc.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Since you pointed that out.....check out this new law. Grab your pichforks and torches everyone, deer are next!!!!! :D

Wis. Act 252 - AB 384 – Crossbows Authorized Under Certain Hunting Licenses

This Act expands the types of weapons that may be used under the authority of the regular (gun) deer, elk, spring and fall wild turkey, small game, and Class A bear hunting licenses, to include the use of a crossbow, and in the case of the regular (gun) deer license, the authority to use a bow and arrow. The is no longer a requirement that a person must be at least 65 years old or be disabled and hold a crossbow permit in order to hunt with crossbow under the authority of any of these licenses. This new authorization takes effect on April 20, 2012.

What has not changed is the type of weapons authorized for hunting under the “archery” hunting license. Therefore, a crossbow can still only be used to hunt deer or small game under and Archery license by a person who has attained the age of 65 or who holds a permit that authorizes the use of a crossbow.

When there is an open season for hunting any species with a firearm, a person with the appropriate license may now also hunt that species with crossbow and a bow and arrow during that open season. This means a person may use a crossbow and a bow and arrow to hunt deer under the authority of a regular (gun) deer hunting license during any firearm deer season, including the muzzleloader only deer season. It also means that any person hunting bear or turkey under the appropriate license, or small game under a small game hunting license, may also use a crossbow, bow and arrow or firearm to hunt those species authorized under that license. Since this Act will likely take effect on April 20, 2012, a person hunting turkey this spring may also use a crossbow beginning on Friday of Time Period B of the 2012 spring turkey hunting season.

Crossbows used for hunting any species under any license must meet the minimum draw weight of 100 lbs., have a working safety, and be used with bolts or arrows of not less than 14 inches in length with a broadhead.

It is important to remember, during the archery deer season or a small game season when a person is hunting under only the authority of an Archery hunting license, a person still cannot hunt deer or small game with a crossbow unless the person is authorized under a disabled permit to use a crossbow or is age 65 or older.

15. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    We can agree to disagree. I don't have a problem with those who choose to use one. I don't particularly agree with it, but I am in no position to tell someone how to hunt. I just could not imagine myself, being able bodied, not over the hill, etc., toting a crossbow into the woods each archery season. To me, it would be almost like taking a rifle out archery hunting. But that's just me. I like the over 65/disabled rule however.

16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mister, you unlocked the wrong door with your golden key!:poke:

17. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    :tu:....

18. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ol Fred is from MI. he don't care about WI. Roy Case or Art Laha on the other hand. Now your cooking with peanut oil!

19. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It must be very cold in Wisconsin, even in April.

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am pro-bowfishing and crossbow neutral.... but I gotta tell you, I'd have to have a lot of trust in the person weilding the crossbow if we were going after the silver carp. Moving boat with fish hitting you and a cocked crossbow could be a bad deal. I'm all for the legalization of it... but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me a bit nervous.