Frankenstein weeds

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Hatfield Hunter, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    heres the deal, 2 years ago I replanted my clover plot, I killed the plot, then replanted clover, red and white. came up nicely BUT was full of grass like weeds, did not have these before killing and replanting, Now this year I killed the plot 2 time about 10 days apart, disced the replanted with red and white clover. same thing grass like weeds coming up all over the plot ??????? Help

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tillage is disrupting the soil. There are thousands and thousands of weed seeds in the soil so it likely will be a never ending process.

Mow and/or spray clethodim.

Sota likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some weed seeds stay viable for decades. Clover plots NEVER need deep tillage if being restored. Infact a frost seeding should keep you going a long time. That and as mentioned specific weed control plus a fall over seeding of some type of brassica, light seeding.

4. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stop disturbing your topsoil. I can mow 4ft tall grass and weed down to three inches then spray to kill everything and just broadcast clover or whatever right into the duff on the ground. It’s never failed. The only thing working the dirt will do for you is dry if your land and shade your topsoil with the neighbors. I live in the red river valley in North Dakota. We have some of the nicest soil in the world literally. Dirt builds from the top down so every time you till the top you are losing topsoil and destroying your progress on soil building or preserving

pastorandrew likes this.