Fourth Arrow Camera Arm

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Sep 2, 2016.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe that will work. I originally tried to share it via my Google Photos. Back to Imgur I guess.

2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    8/5/17..... Before I start I just wanna say I love this company and so wanna love their stuff. Great customer service. Anytime I've contacted them....
    I got my extension for my fourth arrow carbon arm. Finally got around to trying it out on an actual mock setup the other day. Set my wolf climber up a couple feet off the ground and mounted the arm to the tree. My first observation is that if your using a lone wolf climber is that you won't be able to leave the base in the tree as the proper height for the base falls inside of where the traction belt, bungee cord, and seat strap lie to attach the seat part to the tree. Its just too much stuff to work around in the dark. If you put the base low away from all the stand straps the cam is too low. If you put the base above the seat the cam is at eye level when standing up.

I will say I'm above the weight rating for the carbon arm using a manfroto 501ah fluid head and a manfroto ball head leveler and on top a Cannon HFG30. I weighed the rig at work on our UPS scale. It came in at 7.78lbs. The carbon arm is rated at 6lbs......... So I have it all set up in the tree and it seems to be working until I go way left. I'm a right handed shooter and my only complaint was the arm was too short for filming off your left side. So now have a three section arm extended way out and the base begins to twist on the tree. Now what?

I think maybe buying the heavier bases with two straps will alleviate the base twist if it will fit the carbon arm shoulder. I put in a phone call to fourth arrow and they return my call within the hr. Great people to deal with, very knowledgeable and willing to listen to suggestions.

So we determine that it would be cheaper for me to go and buy some more ratchet straps from Home Depot as opposed to the cost of buying and shipping me more of theirs. However the Home Depot straps have no loops in the ends so they are not attached thru the base bolts.......possible loss when transporting. And now additional weight. I have purchased the extra straps from Home Depot and double ratched the base to the tree but have not given it a full test yet. It seems like its gonna work.

I have mixed feelings about the whole setup. Using my Lone wolf climber will not allow me to leave bases in my favorite trees. Also now I'll have to make the whole setup in every tree with the noise of ratchiting two straps to the tree. also the weight is just about at the weights of all my other tree arms........Muddy and lightning............. Anybody got a solution?

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can cut off the hooks on the end of the ratchet straps and just attach to the loops. Less metal to metal contact and less weight.

4. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did that already Holt but I still have the problem of climbing by the base if left attached to the tree. Its a tough situation, too low and you cant swing the arm past the stand. Above the seat and the arm is sky high. Each arm section raises the cam 5", now add the ball head leveler and the fluid head and your up to your eyes when sitting down. I can't be the only one with this problem. I would think any climber would be in the way of the base.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally, If I were hunting from the same tree's consistently, I would use a hang-on stand instead of a climber and leave it in the tree. Not sure of your situation though, so it's hard to say. Unfortunately there's not going to be product that will work in every situation. Any time I'm running and gunning I have to carry the whole setup as well. I can say that I run the Stiff Arm Pro which has the heavier bases and 2 straps. I have one base setup to only have one strap on it for those run and gun situation and one strap is really all it needs. I have a fairly heavy setup w. my Manfrotto MVH500, Sony PXW-X70, Shotgun Mic, Wireless Mic receiver, Go Pro and 7" monitor and the Stiff Arm Pro, shoulder and bases handle it with ease. Obviously I'm giving up lighter weight equipment in an effort to get the best footage I can with my setup. I'm just not much into compromising.

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How about put stabilizer straps on your climber and attach the camera base to the top section of the climber. If you stand while shooting your bow, there shouldn't be any shaking in the camera. Also with the stabilizer straps it really locks down the climber.

7. spanod374

spanod374 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Took a my old Muddy silent strap and versa button drill pressed a hole. Easier connecting in the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you guys seen the new triple arm by 4th arrow? I'm thinking I'll pick one up.

10. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I did. I still ended up buying the stiff arm and extension. I like the setup but I don't love it, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntMaine likes this.
  11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem that I am seeing in the Triple Arm is that it overall is even shorter yet than the original Stiff Arm setup. It is only 34" in total reach. The original Stiff arm is 38" of total reach and that was already too short for many of us who have come over from a Muddy setup. With the Extension, you can get 47 1/2" of reach and function very much like the Triple Arm does.

So far I have the Stiff Arm and the Extension. Like Matt ... I like it given how much I have played with the setup, but it will take me a full season of hunting it to tell me whether I truly love the design or not.

HuntMaine likes this.
  12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I just added the Cam Lever to my shoulder. I think it will be a nice improvement over the knurled nut that it came with. I always seemed to stuggle to loosen the nut after morning hunts for some reason. Hands were cold and I think the raise in temps caused a tiny bit of expansion in the materials and ended up making the nut so tight I couldn't turn it with my frozen hands. I also added 3 more bases so I can have a base in more tree's.

I think they are still doing a nice job of introducing innovative new products. I got a sneak peak at something that's coming down the pipe. It's pretty slick. I know I shouldn't tease, but I think it's something most people that like the 4th arrow camera arms will really like.

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
  14. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I had previously heard about this and was expecting it to be a ways off on being released. I'm pretty disappointed I just got my stiff arm. However it's really nice the previous shoulder will work. I've already contacted them about getting a new base

Skywalker likes this.
  15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, sounds like they might be willing to work with folks on getting the base only. What I don't know is if it would be sufficiently strong enough for my Stiff Arm Pro setup. I don't run and gun that often so it's not really a big deal either way for me.

16. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I do. I'm not willing to invest that much into bases. The new base looks like it may have some extra support as well.

I'm beginning to wish I would have just stuck with my muddy. The connection from my stiff arm to the extension is really sloppy too, there's definitely some stuff I'm not happy with. The only thing I love so far is my camera lol

17. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never compared the lengths of the triple arm to the stiff arm with extension, good to know!!

Matt if you're thinking about getting rid of your stiff arm, let me know!

18. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'll sell just my stiff arm shoulder and base to you and save you a little money if you want. Never been used