found my perfect hunting system

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rick-florida, Jan 1, 2016.

1. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just in case this helps others, wanted to provide what I learned this year. I do most of my hunting in Florida but also hunt 9 days with my brother in New England. I hunt from the ground, usually impromptu ground blinds or still hunting. My objective is to hunt full days every day. Before this year I used a buttpack but it didn’t have the capacity to carry what is needed to stay out when inclement weather moved in. Days can fluctuate between 60 and sunny to 20s and 30s with rain or snow with little notice. So this year I tried out a backpack that I found with advice from this site. The pack has attachments for a quiver and 3-legged hunting stool. I carry a section of burlap for blind material with straps on the bottom. The pack carried a 64 ounce water bladder and had room for everything including food, rain gear, warm gear, first-aid/survival kit, parachute cord, cameras, flashlights, knives, brush snips, rattle bag, grunt tube, doe bleat, turkey call, and all the other knick-knacks needed on a hunt. I also have a little 3 arrow quiver in the pack that I can attach to the bow and take a few arrows along if I leave the backpack to make a stalk. using this setup I was able to comfortably bowhunt 8 full days for deer including cold weather and rain storms and used the last day to gun hunt for pheasant. I don’t know if the pictures will show the detail but this setup is perfect for how I hunt. Thanks for all the great advice on this site.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you've got it all together for you and your style of hunting.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you shoot anything?

4. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for asking Sota. didn't bag one but was my best year for seeing deer there. Attribute that to remaining in the woods more hours and not disrupting the critters by traveling out and back mid day. had a great opportunity but was 5 yards past my comfort level so passed.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like that you like a challenge hunting from the ground in New England and deer hunting in Florida.

6. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I've used tree stands in the past but for bow hunting on public land the ground hunting just has a strong attraction. no doubt its cost us a deer steak or two.