Form question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mod-it, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Small question about the height of drawing arm elbow in relation to the wrist when using a wrist style release. I've read that the elbow should be above the wrist and in line with the arrow. My arm appears to be in line with the arrow, but my elbow is below my wrist. I've read this could be a sign of too long of a draw length, yet it feels comfortable to me, the string just touches the tip of my nose, and the nock is positioned right under my eye. I appear to be creating a "T" between my hips and shoulders with no leaning back at the waist. 5'7", with a 27.5" draw with d-loop. So my question is, are you supposed to consciously raise the elbow so that it is above the wrist? I can easily do that, yet it requires conscious muscle effort and I thought my drawing arm shoulder should be relaxed? When drawing my friends bow that is a 27" draw, my elbow position doesn't change, it just feels short and I can't achieve my string to tip of nose anchor. I don't really have a good picture of me at full draw from the correct angle, but was just wondering if the majority consciously train themselves to raise the elbow up, or if it is supposed to just naturally end up above the wrist?

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're having issues with consistency.. as long as your draw length is where it needs to be. You could post up some pics of you at full draw, that might help to determine if your length is too long

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading some more, I think the reason lies in how I attach my wrist strap. I like it kind of loose and it ends up pulling up against my hand rather than being attached at more of a wrist watch position. It sounds like having it tighter so that it stays a bit higher up on my wrist will cause the drawing arm elbow to be naturally raised. I was just wondering if people consciously raise their elbow or if it naturally wants to be in a higher position than their wrist. I haven't ever really studied my full draw form, but saw a picture that my wife took of me shooting and noticed the elbow being low. I'm going to adjust my wrist strap tighter and then get a picture at full draw and see what it looks like. The one decent picture from the side of me at full draw that I have doesn't look like I'm leaning back to accommodate too long of a draw, but I'm going to have another one taken and see what it shows.

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The wrist release being too long could certainly do it. If you like the strap loose and have a capable release, you could adjust it so it is shorter.. Should be able to comfortably wrap your booger hook around the trigger, this video is good at explaining it