Forest Food Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Hatfield Outdoors, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hatfield Outdoors

Hatfield Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and wanted to pose a question that has possibly been asked before. What are the best food plots (throw & go or other) for thick wooded areas? I've hunted over agriculture fields, corn piles, feeders, etc. however, I have a property that is in SE Ohio where it's heavily wooded with little to no agriculture fields anywhere close by. I am putting out a feeder with minerals but from my experience the more mature bucks do not come in to a spin feeder. I'm not sure if the noise raises concern or what. So, in addition to the feeder and minerals I'll be placing out, I'd like to get something on the ground to keep the mature bucks coming in.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback provided.

2. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hatfield Outdoors how much shade to sun do you have in the area? That will be a telling factor to see which plant types will work best, and also how successful the growth will be.

3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, crimson clover does well for throw and grow. Just before a rain forecast. throw out your seed, then mow. The thatch over the seed will hold moisture in.

If you must get a buck on a bag throw and grow...Whitetail Institute's No Tail has less ryegrass than other commercial brands, as well as more rape and annual clover seed. I've had success with it.

4. Hatfield Outdoors

Hatfield Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    By early summer this will be shaded for the most part all day. It's a thick set of woods.

5. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    HO, my recommendation would be first get your trusty chainsaw out and open up the canopy. Even the most shade tolerant plant species won't do well wit little to no sunlight. You don't need to go crazy, but focus on getting an area open to a sun dominant direction (South/Southeast). My recommendation following that would be to plant a clover and ryegrass combination similar to a blend like Grandpa Ray Outdoors makes called Inner Sanctum. Otherwise a safe bet would to begin with ladino clover and winter rye. Once again though, I can't stress enough how important it is to get your food plot some sunlight during the day (4-6 hours preferred).

Hatfield Outdoors likes this.
  6. Hatfield Outdoors

Hatfield Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Team Haastyle. I will get to work determining a good area I could clear out to allow sunshine through the canopy. I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Haas, come on man don't recommend ryegrass. Rye grass is not the same as Winter Rye and only gives a hunter the illusion of a lush plot but the deer ain't going to desire the grass version at all (I bet mistype).

I concur with Zach (Haas) in a chainsaw is your greatest friend here! Focus on the SW through the SE areas of the plot and clear these of canopy. Hinging is going to be a great tool in that it will remove canopy and also provide brows food from the tops that are now at the deer's level for consumption. Once you get enough light in....seed selection in my opinion should be kept to the things we all know will do decent in lower light levels (around 4-6 solid hours of light for in wood spots). I'd go with a clover/chicory blend, but the first fall planting definitely throw Winter Rye in as well. The rye will not only grow great and help nurse the clover that first fall, but the coming spring will also regrow and allow less pressure on the still young clover. Chicory will grow right along with the clover and can even withstand mowings for a few years just like clover.

Once the Spring comes and the rye starts to head out if it gets to this level, mow the plot...you'll suppress weeds (rye will assist in this already) but also get some volunteer rye to re seed itself even. I don't personally spray my clover/chicory plots for weeds unless truly overrun. Researching the nutrients in "weeds" will quickly illustrate what many a deer biologists have said all along "We see weeds, deer see food."

8. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the call out Ty to better explain myself haha. Winter Rye is definitely a beast in this scenario (beast meaning a good thing), and also a great soil builder! My only caution is Winter Rye still needs direct sunlight to grow efficiently. My only suggestion is that if only filtered sunlight can be attained and/or if working up an area is difficult that ryegrass may be an ok option.

Here is an article by Bob Westerfield on the subject. https://www.qdma.com/ryegrass-going-grain/

tynimiller likes this.
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya and that makes a lot more sense. If I can only get ryegrass to grow and not Winter Rye (which IMO doesn't require a ton of light) I would pass having a conventional food plot and do some hinging rather.

10. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Light is good and hinging is a bonus in that it lets light in and provides food.
    I've had the most success with winter rye as a cover for clover and alfalfa in my plots.

Hatfield Outdoors likes this.