For you guys who write apps out there....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MN_Jay, May 14, 2012.

1. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want an idea for an app here it is;

I'm a contractor that spends way too much time on a cell phone during the day. Sometimes I hold off calling a particular person until I know I have 15 minutes to talk because he just jabbers on and on and won't shut up long enough for me to tell him I don't have time to talk about the weather.

Unfortunately sometimes it's necessary for me to call him but I would love to be able to call his number and it go directly to voicemail so I can leave him a message and avoid all the idle chit chat. I did google this and there are sites out there but I don't know how dependable they are. Also I think they mentioned that the phone does ring one time and then goes to voicemail. Personally I would rather if it just went directly to voicemail so that by the time that he realized he had a message, I don't have to answer the phone when he calls back.

I know this might seem lame but believe me, this would be an invaluable app to me. Heck I'd even be willing to pay for it.

2. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just say NO. LOL Butt in and tell him, "I don't have time for this crap". You call and leave him a message.... he's going to be calling back and wanting to chit chat. Grow a pair... Just Say No. LOL

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL you have obviously not dealt with contract work...this approach would have you on the fast track to unemployment. Being friendly/sociable with the guy cutting the check is half the battle of earning jobs.

I too would LOVE LOVE LOVE such an app for the iPhone.

4. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    Just say NO. LOL Butt in and tell him, "I don't have time for this crap". You call and leave him a message.... he's going to be calling back and wanting to chit chat. Grow a pair... Just Say No. LOL

5. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    I've done contract work.... and if the guy that pays the bills wants to talk... well hell, pull up a chair and listen to him for a bit. Even he will get tired of it eventually. I'm just jerking his chain. It can't go on forever. I'd rather finish it off with one call. You leave a message you now have a min. of two calls...the call and the call back. Don't be afraid of your customers. LOL

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just bill them for your phone time. It happens in other industries. Why not what you do? Your clients will be less likely to yack if they know it's costing them. All my time is billed at $225 a hour regardless if I am doing anything... :D

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just use a ring tone while he is on speaker and politely tell them you have to take a call from someone else....providing your finished with the conversation.

8. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I simply cannot bill people for talking to them, I sure wish I could but that too would land me on the unemployment line. But this wouldn't only be for one guy. I could pound out 5 phone calls in the morning and save myself an hour easily, although it would just be a matter of time before people started catching on to what I'm doing...;)

9. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure how good it works but iPhone has an app called slydial that claims to do this. There's also one in Apple's app store called Straight to Voicemail and Go-2-Voicemail.