For the life of me...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both fixed and mechanical heads Sam. Now as far as mechanical goes. I shoot Swhackers 2" heads with great success and have for years. I did buy some Hypodermic s but never used them.....I may have to sent those to you....lol

Sent from my XT830C

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will take them! LOL! I shot a buck this past season at 21 yards with the Hypodermic. He was quartering towards me and ready to bolt. I shot through his front shoulder and it came out behind the opposite rib cage. He went 50 yards and feel over. My Z7 Magnum is lethal with that broad head.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh Caleb. Really dude?

Congrats on the straps though bro.

4. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mechanicals not allowed in ID or I'd be using them. No lighted NOCs either, neither make ANY sense to me.

5. Foodhunter

Foodhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:

6. Bucks & Bulls

Bucks & Bulls Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using magnus stingers for a long time and they always got the job done. I've also been using hypodermics since the came out and those never failed. Both are great heads but after dropping down to 60lbs this past season I just feel more confident using a fixed head.

Sent from my iPhone

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A. Durability... new blades for each use is crazy. (Which is what I found on two years worth of Rage shooting)
    B. Reduced pass through makes tracking and recovery far more challenging.

Reduce the potential for failure, shoot fixed blade, and shoot ones that fly like FP's... ST
    T

9. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll predator hunt while on stand for hogs & deer and although I wouldn't shoot through a few sticks or leaves at game I would at a coyote.
    I believe a fixed Broadhead may hit the mark where as a mechanical opening halfway from hitting a twig would never hit the mark. I believe.

With that said I've hunt with two different arrow weights in my quiver and 3 different BH.

700grain arrows with two blade fixed for big boar hogs.

425grain, with 3 blade rocket BH for deer, turkey and small boars.

425grain, viper trick BH for yotes, raccoons, others.

Kilboars Hunt Club

10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True reason for creating this thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both these deer were killed with GARBAGE, I mean GARBAGE shot placement. Not on purpose, because i MISSED (since im human) where i was aiming. Was it the bulky late season clothing? The weird angle from a ground blind? Did i rush it? Do i need more practice? The reason doesnt matter. Both of these deer died within 80 yards of impact from massive hemorrhage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have both kills on video and ill post that when possible.

The point is...isnt it our responsibility as sportsman to do everything we can for a clean kill?

Carry on :cool:

11. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just glad to see you're alive. :poke:

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I lost my first deer on a rage 2 weeks ago. Not the broadheads fault though. It was mine. I took a 40 yard shot.. which I am completely comfortable taking.. on an old injured doe. I hit the doe high but I had what I am pretty sure is lung matter on my arrow. But there was no blood trail and we searched for a day and couldn't find it in this huge property with some pretty rough terrain plus it didn't help it was raining the night I shot it. Will continue to use rage but I am looking into getting some dirt naps to try

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks! As much as I like hunting deer in light rain or before a storm comes, it can really suck when you have to give deer time and then track them.

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you can miss and cut an artery with a fixed blade too, matter of fact flint would do it.

15. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But...the larger cutting diameter gives you that extra margin of error.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  16. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cutting surface is much more important to me than cutting diameter. A two blade mechanical has the potential to reach farther, but what you fail to mention is that as often as you could hit an artery you could also reach and hit bone and with a less rigid and weaker design it spells disaster.

17. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you watch the video I posted, dr. ashby talks about the starburst cut. What that means is when the single bevel goes through highly mobile tissue (like intestines) they wind around the spinning head and this creates a lot of little cuts possibly 4 inches in radius outside the arrows initial path. And to me this would be more devastating on a gut shot than a rage. That's why I got some helix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked at the dirt nap broad heads? Their single bevel bh looks really awesome and is supposed to do what you are saying.

19. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I did but heard reviews of a lot of weight variance between heads. Also the helix are better quality and tougher heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First of all, congrats on a couple of fine late season harvests. But, there is no comparison of those two deer with a large bodied northern or Midwestern buck. I have never found it hard to put down small does regardless of hitting bone or not or making marginal hits. In fact, I have taken youth hunters on more than one occasion, and smaller does are the intended target due to the fact that young hunters aren't pushing a ton of KE and I want their experience to be positive. I have tried mechanicals with good results. But, I have had them fail me on what should have been, and I am certain would have been a perfect kill with a fixed head. They are trouble on quartering shots that a fixed blade has zero trouble with. I have been on many, many lost trails that were the result of mechanicals. There are very few guys that understand when and how they should be used properly. Many outfitters don't allow them. Some states don't allow them. I don't allow them on my properties. A lot of seasoned archers have given them a try, and wont again. To each their own. I do think they are a fine head for turkeys.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015