Food Plots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Feb 22, 2014.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

So this year i'm looking at doing a small (approx. 1/4 acre) food plot just in the woods at our cabin here in Wisconsin. This is my plan so far. Let me know what you guys think and was hoping to get your feedback.

I plan raking out the area to expose the dirt early this spring as soon as you can see the ground (hoping the snow melts soon.) and then I was going to spread a bunch of Lime on the area as the soil acidic so that will help with that. I'm hoping to have this completed Mid-April.

End of June -ish I plan on going there on a weekend and Roto Tilling the first few inches of soil to break things up a bit and spraying some round up to kill weeds.

I'll probably go back and spray round up again after a couple weeks to make sure I got the Weeds killed.

My plan is to be able to plant around August 1st as the Bowhunting season opens 2nd weekend of September I believe.

The seed I was looking to plant is is called Rack Maker Plus with Chicory from Heartland Wildlife Institute. I believe its Mainly Alfalfa, Clover and Chicory.

Do you guys think i'm going about this the right way for me to be able to hunt it for early season hunting and then also through the deer season? Should I be using a different crop? Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014