Food Plots vs Baiting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Siman/OH, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    See, thats apples to oranges from what i have. There are unlimited supplies of corn, soybeans and alfalfa. My farm typically has soybeans on the north, alfalfa on the south. The deer will browse through these without pattern.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I have not, but ive heard of this before.

3. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    This is a real possibility. I could forego baiting on the north side and see how my plots perform in conjunction with the existing crop fields. The north side also gets less ambient pressure than the south.

4. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Heres a picture of my untouched brassica plot. There are tracks/trails leading into the sourrounding field but NOTHING in the plot. Probably about 1/8 acre in size maybe slightly larger.

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

On the flip side, to the left in this picture you can see where the deer mowed the leaves off on these brassicas before the first frost even hit.

Trying to pinpoint these critters is rough.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My results feeding/baiting this year has been very dismal to say the least. I have had very little success holding the larger bucks I am after. But like you said, you have cropland nearby. Last year, the guys hunting to the south of me fed corn with varied results, I had plots and knocked down 4 fat does, a 147 eight point and a 159 mainframe ten. I happened to go flying with a friend last month and as we flew over my lease I noticed the guys to the south had a nice plot planted. They have not been hunting since late November, they tagged out. Meanwhile, I have yet to let one arrow fly.. freezer is getting bare. That being said, I did not get to hunt as much as I normally do, 25-30 hours a week last year and maybe 6 hours a week this year if I am home and lucky enough to have all my honey-do's done. So, I guess what we can take from this is that if you're hunting near crop land supplemental feeding helps but if you're not near crop land it is better to have a food plot..