Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Food Plots....Baitng

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jag-mag, May 27, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have no issue with it either.....

BUT.....what I find offensive is someone who knows nothing about a subject, yet wants argue about it and take sides.

And why would someone who smokes pot be hypocritical for berating a crackhead? I can't say that it would/wouldn't be because I have no knowledge of the subject matter.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No, you brought up your buddy who got lucky and shot a bear two years in a row, you were arguing that everyone should be able to do it. You still haven't given any examples, other than him. Hey, a blind squirrel can find a nut. :confused:

If one has knowledge and experience with both animals, it wouldn't be. That's where the problem is, knowledge of only one animal. And when someone who knows both explains it to you (and very well I might add) you still try and try to prove him wrong. I think someone else posted above........classic.

At least something about both......not just one. :sheep:

I do and I don't have issues with it.....I've even done it. As a matter of fact, I have baited both bear and deer and know a little about the subject at hand....Unlike another here. So, its not far fetched for me to say, with great confidence, that baiting is not necessary to consistantly kill a deer anywhere....but is absolutely necessary to do so to consistantly kill bear in certain areas.

Spin it DJ Jazzy Jeff. :rock:

3. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who hasn't been to the thick jungle like forests of northern MN to hunt bear has no business even having an opinion on killing them with or without bait.

They don't move in patterns and you can't stalk something that you can't see!

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your too polite...:confused:

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, caught me.....I guess I should have said "may have gotten lucky." I know nothing about his hunt or bear hunting in NC....BUT, you keep citing him as your only example. So, because I know nothing about him, I should have said "may have gotten lucky." This is exactly what I meant when I put :confused: after the squirrel comment. Sorry for the confusion. :confused:

What other words can I use? You gave your example as a way to disprove Steve.

If they want to, I really don't care. And again, you need to stop comparing deer to bear......two totally different animals and one which you (admittedly) know nothing about.

On another hand, its hard to carry on a discussion with no knowledge of the subject at hand, don't you think?

Have fun picking his brain, but save your fingertips and spare me the report. I know enough about deer (and bear) to know its impossible to compare the two.

Example Jeff....not examples. And why would you need to spin it? Simple, to continue in a conversation about a subject you have no knowledge of.

I really don't care about NC, or any other specific state for that matter. It just may be possible to do it there. (We'll get to this at the end of this post.....again.)

It's impossible to take you serious Jeff when you conveniently leave out direct quotes from my previous posts. But, then again, you wouldn't be able to continue talking about a subject you have no knowledge of if you did that. (Again, we're going to get to that specific quote at the end here.)

See my last few sentences above this quote. (Once again, we'll get to the quote in a minute that you conveniently left out.)

Thanks, I'm flattered. :cool:

Seriously, you have to stop comparing the two animals.....the only way you can compare the two is if you don't have any knowledge of one and think its possible to do so. Wait, I guess YOU can compare the two then. :confused:

Now Jeff....why did you conveniently leave out this paragraph I wrote?......

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, that's such an easy cop out when you know you can't discuss this subject. Another way to read this quote is "I wasn't talking about you, and you're making too much sense for me, so I wasn't talking about you."

Sorry to post these out of order, I thought it was necessary.

As for this quote, it is absolutely NOT hypocritical for a person to do so.....that has knowledge of both species.

You still don't want to talk about going off on a tangent and then conveniently leaving out my most important quote. If you can grasp that single bolded line by me above, you can see that it is definately not hypocritical. I'll repeat it one more time.......

It's pretty simple.

7. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X3

Totally believable.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, not one person Including myself on this thread looked down at a person baiting deer. All I said was for a person that souly depends on the baiting aspect of It should also educate himself on the animal he's hunting. If I knew nothing about bear do you think I would be successful? Hell no I wouldn't be. Why you keep taking It to heart for me saying what I've been saying Is beyond me. Telling someone to learn a little about the animal he's hunting who doesn't know much to begin with Is not looking down at them, It's helping and giving advice.

9. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, read what Steve said again, he never stated that a guy who baits for deer needs and education, he said that a guy who ONLY knows to bait for deer needs an education.... big differance.

10. Buck Magnet

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak for Steve, but here in PA we aren't allowed to bait for bear. I know how to hunt them here, get a bunch of guys together and drive huge valleys of woods to guys, thats your only hope. If baiting was legal here, I would be less educated if I didn't bait for bear simply because otherwise it is just a crap-shoot.

I think population numbers play a huge role into this discussion as well. Without bait, I could easily spend a day in the woods around here and see 20 or more deer, but I would say that I have a .5% chance of seeing a bear without bait here.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously? One can go about life making assumptions about topics they have no education on and its ok? :confused: Sorry, not in my world.

Should we have a conversation about golf and me act like I know something about the topic? I wouldn't dream of it.

12. LAEqualizer

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of like the same reason "someone" only needs to know that deer eat, sleep, and boink, and that makes himm know everything there is to know about killing deer. Yet "someone" is still going to work his arse off this season with that info and a lot of other info and still get schooled at least 80% of his hunts by the same animal.

Geesh.

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would have edited and added to my last post, but I thought it would be missed......

Not if I (here we go again) have knowledge about both animals in question here....bears and deer. The others you listed I don't know much about, so I won't discuss them.....which I believe is wise so I won't be made a fool.

Lets put it this way one more time......

I have hunted over bait for deer, as recently as last fall in Saskatchewan. Pretty much how they do it there.....not my cup of tea really (for deer) but thats how they do it. Hell, I even shot an elk over the bait, and are you ready for this...with a rifle. GASP!

I know enough that it was not at all necessary to hunt over bait there or anywhere else I, or anyone else, has in the past, present or future. I also know enough that its not necessary to use bait for bear in a lot of areas....but, again, it is absolutely necessary in other areas.

I really don't see how this is so hard to understand. :confused: Wait, it would be hard if I knew nothing about the subject at hand. :cool:

14. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Buck, exactly my point.

And who says bear baiters don't learn about bear? That's one funny statement. Any Idea on how many years I've studied these animals? I live and breath this bear stuff and I'm always studying them.

15. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, do you think Dan would be successful In his bear guiding business If he didn't learn and know about bears besides the baiting part? Come on!!

16. Buck Magnet

Dislikes Received:
    Steve, I guess when you go set-up a bait site for bears you just don't have to know anything about the bears, its just one of those "if you build it, they will come deals" :busted: :d I have no knowledge of bear baiting (beside them hitting corn piles my buddy and I set-up to get pre-season photos of deer), but I have hunted bear here in PA and know that without baiting it is a pure crap shoot, and our terrain is nowhere near as thick as yours. The numbers (compared to deer) are so much lower, along with the fact that they have a range roughly 50X the size of a deer's, and they can't be patterened on bedding areas and feeding areas.... you know, the "east, sleep, and boink" that deer do!

17. LAEqualizer

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, Jeff, Jeff, Read it again. I did not say you "did" know everything about killing deer, but you did make the assertion that if you know they eat, sleep and boink, you will be successful. How can you make that assertion? Can you tell GregH that with a straight face? No, and neither can you tell Steve Jack-S#*t about baiting bear.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    A. I don't care how people do it either, as long as its legal.

B. I never made a disparaging comment about anything in this thread. All I said was I can understand where a person who baits bear in an area, where its necessary, to do so could look down on a deer baiter. Baiting deer is not necessary anywhere.

Sorry we're out of order again....

To the mystery caller: I answered this a number of times in multiple posts. Absolutely no hypocrisy here.

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You're really grasping at straws now Jeff and only reading what you want from each of my posts. (which by the way is absolutely nothing new) I never once said that anyone needed to educate themselves more. I only said that it is not necessary to bait deer anywhere. That's all....nothing more.

But, to play your game.....

Why would I ask Greg that? I have no idea what he knows about whitetail and really don't care if he baits or not. BUT, because I have hunted deer in enough areas and know a little about them I know that its not necessary. But hey, like we both said earlier, if its legal and someone wants to hunt that way, go for it.

Edited to add: Greg, sorry your name got brought into this.....not my doing.

20. Buck Magnet

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, read it yet again..... he didn't say that EVERYBODY who baits for deer doesn't know what they are doing.... simply guys that entirely rely on it! If you want to try and twist it that a bear hunter can pattern a bear like a deer hunter can pattern a deer (without bait) that is your problem. I have no idea what you are debating now, you and Steve have pretty much the same point, but somehow in your mind they differ. If your ONLY option to kill the bull was to bait him into your backyard and shoot him, would you not think that you needed to learn a little more about that deer? Now, take a bear that you CAN'T pattern (without the aid of bait, and that isn't a sure fire thing), using bait IS your knowledge.... You have said hundreds of times that deer hunting isn't that "hard", but that doesn't apply to bears, they are an entirely different animals. You have talked countless times about a whitetail's "home range", do a little research on a black bears home range..... its like trying to compare my whitetail hunting with Christine's bowfishing... it has nothing in common besides killing an animal.