Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Food Plots....Baitng

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by jag-mag, May 27, 2009.

1. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is'nt planting food plots for the purpose of attracting deer, turkey, baitng? I bait
    in certain spots myself so I'm all for food plots,baiting.Alot of people on these forums
    put people down for baiting, but they have there food plots [ baits].

2. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you and I think its funny how NY outlaws baiting but it is legal to put in "wildlife food plots." Yet, NYS defines baiting as anything "man made" put out with the purpose of feeding and/ or attracting deer.

Figure that one out :confused:

3. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the most basic form, yes, its pretty much the same, but concentrating a deer in a one acre food plot compared to a 1 square meter bait pile is a whole new ball game. I don't have ill feelings toward either method, but lets be real here, there are some big differances. There are very few hunters who could actually hunt deer without any "artifical" influence.

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What about the way that pile was put there and it's affect on the general wildlife population?

5. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't "food plot"...

But.. I don't see it so black and white as some of you.

Now.. if you sit all day.. MANY times a year on some food plot somewhere.. then yes.. you're baiting.. congratulations.

But.. if you're using the food plot to bring deer onto your lands at different times of the year (where they usually would not be on your lands).. then.. you're just a smart hunter. And usually.. these are the same guys who rarely even ever sit ON the food plot.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dont see it as the same...

Lets compare it to baseball (seems to be the theme these days)

Feeders. bait-piles, i compare that to juicing. Its fast, it works (most of the time), it takes less effort and it get s BAD rap (some areas, some people).

Growing food plots though, is like taking protein and lifting a strict regiment, eating healthy and treating your body well. You get the same results as juicing, but you put the time and effort into doing it the "right" way (in some hunters eyes).

Its all about preference. No right answer.

7. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In wis we are only aload to put out 2# at a time, so if I'm baitng a stand I have to do it
    every day or at the least every other day. How about food plots? didn't think so.

8. jag-mag

jag-mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BM your avatar is hot

9. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    By the same token, Most guys I know that bait are stocking up at the local Gander on "deer" corn and Buck Jam one or two days before the season. Works both ways, I guess. IMO the majority of food plotters NEED to put the time in for the plot to be a success. IMO the majority of baiters don't NEED to put the time in for thier bait station to be a success. If my life depended on killing a deer and I was only allowed a day or two to either plant a food plot or create a bait station, I'd pick the bait station every time.

10. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do both. I planted a food plot that took a lot of work to get the soil right. The PITA that was getting my tiller deep into the woods,TWICE, even with the use of logging roads. And then seeding and raking. it was hard.
    My feeder was a PITA to get deep into the woods and set up and is a PITA to keep in corn and batteries. The plot was initially harded, the feeder is harder to maintain. I will hunt over both this year and I'll let you know which has the better labor to backstrap ratio!

11. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MMMM that's where it's at!!!:d

12. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I've "heard" the arguement that taking advantage of a crop field is bait. SO I reckon there is no right answer here.

My take is this, yes, they are both bait sites to some degree. However most food plots are planted and able to be used as browse both prior during and after the season. They bring a health factor to the herd during the course of the year. Bait sites and feeders are more direct in the approach that they are intended to bring deer to you when it's convienant for you. The have less benefit to the herd over-all.

13. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It seems that some of the people that live In states where It's legal to bait deer call a corn field, bean field, alfalfa field, food plot, any kind of field for that matter a baiting practice. Hell, sitting on or close to a crick I guess Is baiting too In all your eye's I bet. I've baited bear for years In northern Mn, I know what baiting Is.

14. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I plant food plots and have never hunted for a whitetail near them or over them.. elk different story, they like it too much, they can't stay out. Old bucks they know better. If the big bucks in my area were stupid/tolerant enough to use the food plots I plant during daylight hours ...YUP I would then set up where I needed too to get a shot at them. I agree that plots offer the herd more benefits than bait during the summer and fall months.. Not so sure about winter months, bait or supplemental feeding would probably be more beneficial in the deep snows of winter.

15. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The difference for me is the drawing power of corn makes it a little less than fair chase. Sure, a corn field draws just as much, but in my area, you better have 20 acres or more of it or it will be long gone before deer season ever arrives, much less still be there in late winter, when they really crave it. Sure, spread your corn pile out over 20 acres and then its the same thing...

I've never seen anyone put biologic in a bait pile.....hmmm

16. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good points.. pinpointing deer makes it much easier to set up on than over a big field with many options for deer to pick from..

17. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion If food is put out, planted, poured, etc. for the sole purpose of attracting an animal so that it can be shot, then it is bait.

Trees don't have acorns, farmers don't plant fields, water doesn't stay in holes and so on, so that an animal can be shot when it utilizes them. If a food plot was used just to feed deer and not used to attract them to be shot, whether at the plot or on a trail to the plot then I can't see how it would be bait.

18. Gr8atta2d

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand the statement.

"Intent" is not my podium, It's the long range availabilty that makes them different in my minds eye.

I'm not against or condemning either practice, I'm just saying one (Plots) seem to have a broader scope than merely a means to make hunting easier.

19. Gr8atta2d

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess in that context, if someone is gonna countinue to maintain a food source through out the year, they are basically the same. I don't know anyone who "baits" more than is neccesary though.

The only other detractent would be the possible spread of disease form concentraing a herd to a food pile verse a more natural field type setting.

20. Gr8atta2d

Dislikes Received:
    For myself I'm not justifying anything, if it's legal and your comfortable with it, do it. I actually don't do either and only because I don't have the property to do it on. I would love to have and maintain food plots. Would I hunt them or near them. You betcha! I have used a corn for my cheapo camera pre-season to get some deer on camera.

But I really don't know where you are trying to go with this. Why not put your cards on the table, tell us your opinion or the point you are trying to get too, hell, maybe we'll even agree...