Food plots advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bowhuntertothecore, Jan 29, 2015.

1. bowhuntertothecore

bowhuntertothecore Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm going to try to put a food plot out this year and I'm not real sure how to go about it. where I plan to plant I can only get to on foot so ill have to use the cast type of seed. I live in southwest Ohio. So my questions are when would be the best time to plant? What should I plant? Any help you be greatly appreciated!

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, you live in my area. I'd be glad to give you tips on what seems to grow well in our area as I've been doing trial and error the past few years. The first thing I recommend is doing a soil test to see what you're working with. You may need to add lime or work in some organic matter to help prepare the soil. If you can't fit a 4-wheeler in you may need to use some kind of hand tiller or as a last resort a pitchfork or shovel. You'll want to at least turn the soil over to loosen it up and prepare it for the seeds. Then depending on what you are planting, soil quality, amount of rain, and sunlight, you may opt to use fertilizer as well. Is there anything in particular you were wanting to plant? Are you planting for spring and fall? If so you have to think about changing from one to the other so the soil doesn't get yanked of all it's nutrients.

Oh, and before I forget, one thing I recommend doing is to figure out what people around you are growing so you don't plant the same thing. You want to give the deer something they aren't getting somewhere else. So if everyone is giving them corn, try soy beans. If everyone is giving them corn and soy beans then you might want to try alf alfa or clover.

So far I have had success with rye and clover in the spring and turnips for the winter.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. bowhuntertothecore

bowhuntertothecore Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you go to get your soil tested or can you do it yourself? I was thinking clover and turnips something good for early season and late season. So I'm hoping to have it good and ready for deer season. Thanks for the help!

4. bowhuntertothecore

bowhuntertothecore Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you go to get your soil tested or can you do it yourself? I was thinking clover and turnips something good for early season and late season. So I'm hoping to have it good and ready for deer season. Thanks for the help!

5. theback4

theback4 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    food plot seeds for reasonable prices

I think deer-specific food plot mixes are way overpriced. Check out GreenCoverSeed.com. They have every kind of seed you could want from brassicas to clover to grasses to wheat to turnips. I know where I'm getting my seed from!