Food plot timing advise

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by arrowflinger1, Jan 1, 2013.

1. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in minnesota I have regularly planted my plots about the last week of july, They always do great until the deer find them( which isn't a bad thing), it is the perfect timing to hunt them the first few weeks of the season here. I am looking to get the brassica's to mature and get the bulb so they have late season food. Do I need to try and plant them earlier in the summer, say june??? anyone have any idea's

2. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are not getting good bulb production i would take a soil test just to be sure your not missing something that they need. then if that looks good I would maybe get a seed blend or put one together that consist more of brassicas that put on more bulbs than tops. there is a difference, some brassicas are bread to be mostly forage, (meaning the plant puts most of its energy into green top than into bulbs.) you want brassicas that put most of there energy into bulb production. I would plant a mix that is high percentage in purple top turnips and diakon raddishes. these two grow quickly and produce big bulbs. If you do get a soil test request maximum yield results for purple top turnips. then the test company will tell you exactly what to put into the soil in order to get the best stand of purple tops possible. this should get good production. I find the deer rarely touch purple top turnip tops till they absolutely have to, then they eat the top and spend winter diggin bulbs. Good luck!

3. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks pastorandrew, ph is good. looks like I will have to try some more different mixes and see what the deer like the best.

4. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    June would be a bit early for brassica plantings. I always shoot for 3rd to last week of July and get pretty good results. Lots of nitrogen, maybe some 19-19-19, and some timely rain will get huge bulbs. Good luck!

John

5. Mn hunter 21

Mn hunter 21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do whitetail deer like corn food plots or bean food plots?

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    both and brassica food plots, and clover food plots, and red wheat food plots, and crimson clover with some winter peas and oats food plots.......

diversity is key :)

7. Mn hunter 21

Mn hunter 21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Corn and bean plots are a great late season draw, as long as you have enough planted to make it to december. I have seen beans and corn wiped out by early oct. Diversity and good cover close by is key to a good plot. Access is just important.
    What is planted/growing outside the plot is just as importand as what is growing inside the plot.
    John