Food plot seed advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by JHasty, Mar 11, 2017.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I am needing some advice on food plot seed. I live in Georgia and I own app. 10 acres that I hunt. It is a creek bed filled with nothing but hardwoods. Its behind my house so it is in walking distance but I only go back to check my camera from time to time and fill my feeder. I have been wanting to do a small food plot to go along with my feeder. I am the only one who hunts in my area so I don't have any competition as far as other hunters. I have been looking at the Evolved Harvest Throw and Go seeds but don't know much about food plots seed. Where I am wanting to put a plot really isn't ideal for getting equipment to because of all of the roots from the trees and when it rains a lot the creek floods. The spot I have my feeder is on a little bit higher ground than the rest of the creek so when it does flood the area around my feeder is safe so I would not have to worry about all of the seed washing away. I just wanted to get opinions from people who have used the throw and grow type seeds to see if they are any good or if they are a waste of money? Thanks for all of your help !!!

2. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First and foremost I will say that I am not a fan of the Throw and Grow seed blends. Typically the emphasis in these blends is ryegrass which has a very small place in the food plot management world. If you can get some adequate sunlight to the location I would recommend clearing your area with a leafblower, and scratching up the area with a garden rake (given you can't get any equipment to the site) if you are willing and able to put some sweat and labor into the project. From there I would plant a clover/chicory blend with a winter wheat, oats, or brassica cover crop. Once again though I can't stress enough how important it is to get sunlight to hit the area of your food plot for a minimum of 4-6 hours per day unfiltered.

JHasty likes this.