Food Plot SE Kentucky

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kentuckybuck, Jun 15, 2017.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just want to get some opinions. Have about 100 acres of pure woods and thickets, I have around 1/4 or 1/2 acre food plot in the middle that I had cleared last year, It is already mid June. Should I go ahead and plant some round up soybeans or wait until July/Aug and plant some fall/winter seed such as oats, winter wheat, winter peas, etc. I planted some seed last year, winter wheat and think maybe chicory. my land connects to other woods and public lands, tons of it too! Not much of any crops around me either. Appreciate all thoughts and suggestions.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything helps. If you can get the beans in the ground now I would do it. If they get mowed you can then plant the oats, winter wheat and maybe some chicory. If they survive and still going strong you can overseed the beans with oats, winter wheat and rye in early October. The beans will yellow up and deer will leave them alone until late season so variety will help keep them interested.

foodplot19 likes this.
  3. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:

Good deal. When planting the oats, rye, etc, do I just broadcast on top of soil? Disc or Harrow? Thanks. Will put beans in asap.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year we had soybeans in our plot. Come September they were still only about 4-6" tall. Deer were keeping them mowed down. I just ran the disc over them with minimal cut on the gangs. We broadcast the bigger seeds, oats and winter peas, then went over the ground again with the disc to cover the seeds up. We then broadcast the smaller seeds over the top of what we had just planted. We rec'd rain not long after we did this, a few days. Being that oats are a "bigger" seed you'll need a little more coverage on them, the rye will grow on concrete if it gets wet so I'd plant the oats a little deeper if you have the chance. The beans we had planted survived the multiple runs over them with the disc pretty well. They survived enough to protect the new growth from everything we had just planted. The deer numbers are high enough at this location that the beans were never going to get to maturity anyway. JMO.

5. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Great, thanks. Not a whole lot of deer yet, but not a huge plot either. This sounds good though. Appreciate it FoodPlot19!

foodplot19 likes this.
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I think foodplot19 covered it well. If your are in a pinch and the soybeans are doing well you can just broadcast the oats and rye. But the more you do to ensure good seed to soil contact the better. Good luck!!

foodplot19 likes this.
  7. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I will try to plow some when time comes.
    Here is wjat it looks like now. Guess I'll spray roundup then plant asap.

Attached Files:

8. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a place in the same area in Kentucky mainly woods, backs up to DBoone. From what I've heard those are good choices I planted something called seven top, a mix of clover and other things it has worked and some come back every year. Not sure about round up, I just don't like anything that may run them off, give it a good till.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

9. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Well when I was finished I had 3 types of clover, winter wheat, and soybeans on the ground. Hopefully they will turn out good. We will see shortly I guess.