Food Plot questions

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by clee, Jul 24, 2011.

1. clee

clee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We went out to the farm yesterday and tilled up a food plot that is about 1/4 an acre. We planted this plot last year with a combination of rye, oats, Austrian winter peas, turnips, and clover. It did alright for us but didn't get the attention that we thought that it would. We are going to plant a similar size plot about 1/2 mile away.

I know that there is a difference in price from a feed store mixing your seed and buying buck in a bag products, but since I am planting about an acre, the price difference isn't that great, $60 compared to $80. I have been looking at Biologic Maximum, Outfitter's Blend, Full Draw, and Green Patch Plus.
    http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=6&section=annual
    http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=7&section=annual
    http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=8&section=annual
    http://www.mossyoakbiologic.com/products/default.asp?id=9&section=annual

We also tried to make a Hidey Hole but the 4 wheeler started acting up and we didn't get it completed. I think that we are going to go ahead and throw some turnip seed on it and see if it grows.

What are your experiences with these specific products or products with the same ingredients?

2. clee

clee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this in the bowhunting section because there are more responses there. Most people are like me and they do not go into the food plot section very often. Could this be moved back?

3. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just get a mixture from your local seedhouse. Tell them what you want to do and they'll probably have a recommendation for you. We are going to throw out a bag of Deer Creek Seed Brassica Mix that I bought just because it was $5.99 for a 1/3 acre. We had thrown out some Brassica seed last year in late summer/early fall. We just spread it in the corn plot that we had planted and that seemed to work really well. We tried a bag of Mossy Oak stuff a couple of years ago. I'm not going to say it was bad or anything, I just didn't see the difference from that to what we got from the seed house. Especially if you're looking into larger quantities.

Where do you get your turnip seed from?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  4. clee

clee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the turnips from the feed store last year. I hope that they will still work this year. The little spot that we were going to throw these out in didn't get broke up very well due to the 4 wheeler problems that we had. I was hoping they would come up.

5. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. RoweQDMfarms

RoweQDMfarms Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally always tend to steer away from these mixes. I don't know if it varies on the region you are hunting in, although I have had my best luck with strictly clover plots. We do about 16-20 different food plots around our farm yearly. We have tried the mixes but like you said, the deer didn't seem to be to attractive to the deer. Don't get me wrong from time to time deer would use the food plot and eat around but strictly clover if you are going that route has always been a better bet. Check us out on facebook Trophy Whitetail Management and post your trail cams for our monthly trail cam free gear giveaway contest and don't forget to "like" our page. Also, you can find us at www.trophywhitetailmanagement.com.

7. gmil6184

gmil6184 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    if you are only planting a few small plots I think its much easier to just buy a commercial mix like Biologic. I have had great success with biologic maximum, green patch plus and clover plus. If I was going to recommend just one I would say use Maximum. Puts out a ton of food - both the leaves and bulbs - and the deer around me go crazy for it.

Here is a picture of a plot of Maximum from last year.

[​IMG]

8. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When did you plant that gmil? That's a good looking plot!!

9. clee

clee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great looking plot. I think that I am going to go with the Maximum. I might go with a turnip plot in a little hidey hole area and then plant a mixture of rye, oats, austrian winter peas, and clover like I did last year. That seemed to work pretty well.