Food Plot Planting Question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NC_Bowhunter, Aug 12, 2011.

1. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on planting Buck Forage Oates this year. The planting guide for my area says to plant from late September thru October. IT says freeze damage is unlikely and it should produce forage thru the spring. I am curious if it would be a problem for me to go on and plant it. My season starts 2nd week of September so the sooner I can have something ready the better. New to food plots so I am not sure if there will be any negative effect of early planting. Thanks for any info!!

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It might get pretty stemmy and tuff by the time you want to hunt over it if planted now. The deer might not like it as much as new tender shoots. But if it's the only green thing around that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm waiting a few more weeks before planting my wheat in IL.

3. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oats are more of a late season attraction...

4. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plant Labor Day weekend.

5. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    . Thanks Guys!! The reason I was asking is there is nothing around this area but hay right now. Usually sometime in October they plant winter wheat every year and the deer love it so I wanted to add a little something to draw them in to a particular location. I have heard of some locals having good luck with the Oates so I was just curious if it would be worth while for me to plant it early. Thanks again, and I will probably just wait till sometime in September. Thanks again!

6. scooters

scooters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to try Winter Rye it grows all year and will be back after winter in the spring you can mix both together.