Food plot general knowledge needed

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Daniel kahut, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Daniel kahut

Daniel kahut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recently found out the soil bed on the property is not very deep due to the fact of being in area of stone quarrys. With this being said...the area doesnt hold much water underground and therefore floods .. this last September was brutal with tons of rain and food plot never came in.. looking for suggestions on what to plant or any ideas on what I could do for habitat improvement. Area is marshy grass .. juniper trees .. and thickets taken over by grapevines .. all next to 18 acre ag field

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crap that whole post just got lost!
    Short ,I don't understand your desctription won't hold water thus flooding. Shallow top soil , don't till. Next to ag ,don't " plot". You be day time bed and browse let neighbor be night time feed. So make your travel trails and scratch in needed lime/ fertilizer with subterranean clovers. Plant browse mast. Bushes and trees. Chestnuts and hazel nuts(bush) gray and red dog wood kuosa dogwood, apples, elderberry, plum, late pear, persimmon,ect ect. Carefully set stand or blind areas to best winds and entry. Water tubs. Learn your best weeds for deer and leave it be. Example poke weed is never killed on our place ,no need deer love it! I kill some grape and manage others. They love bedding under it here and eat the leaves and grapes just cut it back some and redirect in winter.

3. Daniel kahut

Daniel kahut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah sorry with being lost.. I was too ha..what I meant was there always seems to be water/flooded area because the ground not being able to soak it up with not much under the topsoil besides rock.. the plots would be small and to give the deer a variety to the either corn or soybean in the ag. Its definitely a great bedding area for them but just trying to hold them throughout the year. Shed season usually sucks cause the bucks leave due to no forage. And thank you for the suggestions on the bushes and fruit trees .. I did plan on doing that for sure. Would you be able to explain subterranean clover.. I'm in east central wisconsin and not sure what the best type would be. Dont need water tubs.. plenty of water around.. learning stand placements and strategies with them as I go along .. any other suggestions? And thanks once again for the input

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol..I meant a typed response I made disappeared. If you google it there is much better details that you can find than I can give. This said, for your area it is a short lived good draw ,but soil builder. Gives you a base for a better crop the following season. I'm all about soil building thus the suggestion. It handles wet and poor shady soils but not hard winters.. Something you can over seed into to avoid tilling. Go to say.. Hancock seeds and read the description for all the seeds you are interested in.
    I can't make suggestions not knowing terrain features and wind direction to access routes. Also your herd #'s.
    My personal example 73 +acres on the side of a NW facing hill half on one side of the road half on the other. Heavily lined by 17 properties that ALL HUNT. my place is mainly mixed hard woods with 13 small scattered plots. A gully, swamp, steep terrain with 6 streams. One section is only 400 wide x 1/2 mile long. One is 350 x 1200 and another 1300 x 1300. All that said there is no way to go to any place on the property I'm not bumping deer. I can walk down the drive and walk the road down hill to access lower piece and I bump deer all the way down. They will bed along the culvert ditches. I have well over 43 sets all over from stands to towers to ground blinds. I have winds from every direction in the fall and winter so it's a toss up on any day where to go. I do try to avoid going deep unless way before light. I have many ground blinds before stand sites for glassing day movement . Quick sets in case I see deer where I'm headed. So really you have to observe your surrounding hunters and herd then wind currents.