Food help for brother who is lactose intolerant!!!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by superman, May 24, 2017.

1. superman

superman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone quick question, I've been on over a dozen big game hunts and have plenty of " tag soup" in the freezer but been successful as well.. this year 2 of our hunts will be backpack trips 1 into Frank church and other will be into selway Salmon River area in Idaho... My problem is mountain House and several others all have milk/calcium etc in them.. my brother is super lactose intolerant!!! I've googled every thing I can think of to find a product w low calcium... Besides making all the food on our own which isn't likely to taste very good ( Im no expert or chef) besides beef jerky lol!!¡ can anyone suggest a product or a suggestion ??? Thanks everyone

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd suggest a diet without lactose.
    Unless you don't like your brother.

Look at Soylent drinks, they are lactose free. I've tried the regular flavor, tastes like Cheerios and milk, I rather liked them. I could live on Clif bars and Soylent and be fine for a week or so. I have milk allergies (dairy allergies) and anything dairy causes a histamine reaction for me, my sinuses plug up and lots of mucus like I've got a cold. Soylent didn't bother me at all, non-dairy. Some of the Clif bars have dairy products like chocolate, I like the oatmeal, raisin.
    Imagine you'll want more than those options but it's a start, maybe.

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1) Check out the heathers choice meals-I'm not 100% if they're lactose free but drop her a message and she can advise.

2) Back before freeze dried canned/packaged goods-yes weight penalty-were the route. Pastas and rice dishes may not be paleo but do provide lactose free options. Mix in some tuna, sauce, dehydrated veg, or other dried goods and the options are endless. My new favorite is dried coconut cream powder (online, from a carribean or SE food store) as the base for a curry or milk substitute.

3) protein/meal replacement bars. There are many. One bars, pro bars, greenbelly, fitjoy, epic and more seem to cover a variety of different needs be they paleo, lactose, etc.

4) DIY- get a dehydrator and dry your meals made at home. Just be careful of high fat, super lean or perishable foods may need some special care (to dehydrate, rehydrate or store). Ymmv but plenty of resources online for reference. A riff on this item is use restaurant food that you know is lactose free.

Update: I checked with Heather's Choice, they said all their meals are lactose free.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    google lactose free mre, there are many options available.

5. superman

superman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you very much to all of you... I'll email heathers first and go from there... Thanks again

6. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dnt know if you know this or not but ther are doctors that can fix lactose and gluten intolerance. I dnt know wer you live but i know of two. One is in Florida and the other in Nashville. Im sure ther is more but i have a friend that hadn't eatin bread for 25+ years and is now eating all the gluten he wants. Another friend she was lactose intolerant if im not mistaken and the dr fix her.. it sounds funny to me but ther a lot of people gettin fixd that i know. They do something with the electric system in your body and tell your brain that its ok to have that again. Would b something for you to check out. These drs can fix any allergy cat,dog anything the way i get it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums