Fletching

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bowhunter448, Apr 16, 2020.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

I've been busy for a minute. I finished paramedic school and am looking for things to learn and fill my time. I am interested in fletching and wrapping my own arrows (which there's a lot, all 9 of us shoot). For those that fletch your own, what resources and materials would you guys recommend to get started?

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    there are some great how to vids on you tube .... investing in a fletching jig is a must, single vane or 3 vane..., I use a Arizona Mini-max which does 3 vanes at once and I use Blazers, also decide on what you want to use, feathers or plastics, if your hunting or just target shooting, if you want helical/right or left, or just an offest ... type of arrows to be fletched and how to prep those arrows.... arrow saw, fletching glue, insert glue (fast cure or long cure) ... I like long cure as I can spin test and rotate my insert/Broadhead before it sets ... you'll also want to get a good spinner so you can check your arrows for wobble ..... then, learn a process that fits you .... youtube is a good start .....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aboogie973 likes this.
  3. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There’s a wide range of options and pricing, but it’s fairly simple to get started:

Jig: My preference is a Bitzenburger with straight clamp, but other companies make them: Firenock, Bohning, Last Chance Archery, etc.
    Adhesives: cyanoacrylate Glues are used for vanes, feathers, inserts. Epoxy is used by some for inserts. Hot melt glue is also common for inserts. G5, Bohning, Easton, etc.
    Vanes: Bohning, AAE, etc.
    Arrow saw: Apple, Weston, etc. although you can buy arrows cut to length or have them cut at a shop
    Arrow spinner: Pine Ridge, others
    Arrow Squaring Device: G5, generic 3D printed squaring jigs with sandpaper
    Acetone or Primer: mixed opinion on these, but many AAE vanes require an AAE primer pen. I personally use acetone to clean the base of my vanes
    Small scale: I have to check a brand, but they usually are about $10 or so and measure in grains and grams for lightweight components

I may have forgotten something.

aboogie973 likes this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting and a ton of information. Just don't keep arrows fixed with hot melt in a hot place. Have been known to release. Question on the Arizona jig- how does it work with only one fletching? Seems the other two "fingers" will contact the existing fletching and get in the way. BTW, I use the Grayling jig. I'm an NASP coach and it gets a workout! I tell the kids that I like fixing nocks and fletching. Tells me they are shooting tight groups. Virus has put all NASP archery events on the skids this year.:bow:Good hunting and shooting. Just thought, need to get the 3D target out and get ready for fall!
    Edit- How many of you weigh your arrows and sort according to weight?
    For 3D? For Hunting?

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With an AZ, as you close it, if your only replacing one vane, you put the other two vanes into the other arms of the jig ... one of the arms is a different color for the 'cock' vane ... you can also rotate/index the nock within the jig .... I replace single vanes all the time with mine, I use the MINI 'MAX' which will do up to 3" vanes, the "Mini" does up to 2.25" only ... I'll strip off the damaged vane, scrape the old glue off, use scotch brite to rough up the area to be refletched, wipe with DEnatured alcohol and fletch ..... a trick is when putting the glue on the vane(s) with a AZ, is to only use 3 small drops, one on the tip, one in the middle and one on the end and use a small nail, or such to spread the glue on the vane up and down it (I use Pine Ridge glue, and keep it in the fridge to keep it fresh in between uses)..... if excess glue squeezes out of the vane when closed and drying, it also can be scraped off after removed from the jig using the tip of a small knife or if still wet, a q-tip ... you'll learn how much to dab on .... also, dont forget to 'cap' off the vane, put a small drop of glue on the front tip and rear of the vane when removed from the jig ..... I'm fletching up some arrows later today (Goldtip Velocity XT's) .... if Bass Pro has the color of the Blazer vanes I use that is... ;0) ............... yes, I do weigh all my arrows after cutting to length and again after fletching... generally there isnt much of a variance, within 5 grs or less when completed

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another 'how to' ..

8. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I bought the Arizona EZ Fletch yesterday and the Bohning arrow wrap/vane package and the glue yesterday. I stripped 6 of the 10 arrows I got, cleaned them up and wrapped and refletched them. I was surprised by how easy it was with the EZ Fletch. Now, I think that for birthdays and such for the kids, they can get new arrows and pick their fletching and wraps if they want. Here’s how they turned out:

*I can’t get the picture to post through my iPad, so I’ll post them when I get home and access my laptop*

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good, glad you like it ... its a great fletching jig ..... you can always get the Mini MAX arms separately if you want to do vanes to 3" ....

10. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If in the future, everyone gets a little more serious with their arrow setup. I would recommend the Vane Master Pro from Last Chance Archery. It is a steep price tag, but it has endless helical right and left for any target or hunting. Since there are 9 individuals you have endless vane configurations to fit such a personal sport. Everyone holds the bows different and different setups work with different vane configurations. It is all in one package, now multi clamps or jigs for right, left, straight. I have not regretted getting one and it is just me, but I also offer doing arrows for others. I can do whatever they want, all they need is the vanes and glue.