Fletching tip

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Straight Shooter, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So last night I fletched a dozen Easton Axis with wraps and fusion vanes. About an hour after fletching I notice the back ends of the vanes coming loose! Normally, fusion vanes stick very well. I was using G5 Blu Glu, normally a great adhesive. But this time, it is like the glue isn't even trying to dry. So, I peel off the whole dozen and start over with new wraps and this time I use fletch tite platinum. After sitting overnight, the vanes pulled off the shafts today like peeling a banana. Today I am driving to work in the rain (something we haven't seen in Illinois in a loooong time) and it hits me.........HUMIDITY! I stripped the whole dozen arrows again tonight and started over. This time I fletched them in the furnace room where we have a dehumidifier and what a difference! I had one arrow that didn't suit me and I was going to redo it. I could not pull the vane off with my hands this time only a couple minutes after I fletched it! A lot of you are probably thinking "DUH.........How long did it take you to figure that out?" I just thought I would share what I discovered so maybe you won't have to refletch the same dozen arrows 3 times in a 24 hr period! Hope this helps somebody!:lol:

2. ManicMike

ManicMike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. It was so simple I over looked it. I have had a similar, though not as extreme, problem and was convinced I had started doing something stupidly wrong that I hadn't done before. It didn't seem to matter what I did; warm the arrows by the fire, dry the arrows by the fire, fletch during the day, fletch at night.... I gaze out the window at yet another wet Sunday and realise that we are just coming out of the wettest damn winter I have ever known. It's that simple, it doesn't matter how fierce you have the fire burning, when the house is damn near rocking on the waves the air is going to be damp. Thank you.:)

3. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Glad to hear someone could benefit from my mistake! Good luck, Bro!

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had this issue. I don't have a basement and my house is never damp. I keep my house at 73 deg in the summer so most humidity is pulled out. This may be why I have never experienced this.

I will keep it in mind in the future.