Fletching for small diameter

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MassBow413, Jul 26, 2018.

1. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,
    Currently I am shooting CX piledriver Pass thru extreme 350 arrows. Last year I shot them with AAE MAX hunter straight fletching and a spitfire maxx head. In previous years I’ve shot blazer vanes with a right helical on a standard gold tip hunter. The problem is that the set ups were a little noisy, so now I’m considering feather fletching. Wonder what everyone suggests for size, straight or right helical. Just looking for ideas to make a quieter arrow. Thanks!

2. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was there a noise difference between your BH and field tip setups? Inquiring since I have shot CX Max Red and Max Hunters with both Blazer vanes and AAE Pro Max. About the only time I've had noise is when a vane isn't bonded correctly. I typically use either a straight or one degree right helical.

3. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say a little, I have always heard that feathers are quieter so I was thinking of trying that but then comes the hassle of needing to waterproof them.

4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same basic setup except I shoot left helical with 1.5-deg offset. And, I have 10 extra grains of FACT weight.

I am going to setup a straight clamp with a slight offset (after clocking my shafts) using the Bohning Heat vanes and Blazers. Then compare that to my standard setup and make a decision, with noise being the least factor. I don’t have significantly far shots. I shot a deer last year at 30 yards for that barely flinched on my shot. I don’t think he heard the arrow coming, or had very little time to react. He never knew he was cut. He walked about 2-3 steps and tipped over.

Oh yeah, I’ll also bump up the FACT weight to 20 or 30 grains total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am running a 4 fletch with 2 inch feathers for my micro diameter shafts and love it they provide maximum steering when needed and they also are increasing my foc as they are extremely light only 1.4 grains each. all 4 of them weight less than a blazer vane. this is just my opinion though as i am out of the norm running a 25% foc set up.

Bob Thomas likes this.