Fletching arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jflats123, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jflats123

jflats123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone ,today I turn to the forum
    To ask some questions about fletching arrows. I just received a fletch master jig by:Bitzenburger from my neighbor .First question is what is the difference between right and left helical wings and which should I use if I'm a righty .Second question is what do the numbers toward the bottom of the jig where you would turn the arrow mean?The numbers read off from top to bottom 120 degrees ,90 degrees and 75x105 degrees .the Third and final question is what do the two nobs on the side of the jig mean saying l with an arrow pointing left and r with an arrow pointing right .I know they mean left to right but I don't know what they are used for. Thanks for the help ,I know I might look stupid asking probably very simple questions but I figured I might as well learn to do this while I'm younger .

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It makes little difference concerning which hand you shoot with unless you are shooting traditional maybe. I prefer right helical as that tends to tighten the broadhead as the arrow spins, especially if you shoot heads where the blades are held in by being screwed onto the arrow. (I avoid those)

3. PaBone

PaBone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Those are very good questions, To start there are three different clamps for you jig. Straight, left and right helical. So you would need a right helical clamp to fletch a right helical. The degree marks by the set screws are for the detents as you turn the knob for fletch spacing on the shaft. 90 is for a four fletch and the one marked 120 should be screwed down to give you a three fletch. The top and bottom knobs marked with L for left and R for right are for adjusting the fletch parallel to the shaft. So if you want a right helical, place a fletch in the right helical clamp using the same guide mark on the clamp so your fletch will be about an inch from your nock. Than place an arrow shaft in the jig and loosen the top and bottom knob for L-R. Know dry fit the clamp on the shaft for the amount of helical you want, top will go to the right and bottom to the left until clamp sits nicely on the shaft than tighten set screws. The key to a good fletch job is in applying the glue, I use Fletch-Tite and use your pinky finger as a guide when applying glue. Good Luck