Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Flashlight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maine Hunter, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ill do this too. Hold it clenched in my hand and crack my fingers just far enough to let sliver of light out.

Ridgerunner3 and oldnotdead like this.
  2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Browning that is my main go to headlamp, clear/red/green in sufficient lumens and another brand as a back up .... I use red most of the time in/out, green very seldom, clear for tracking .....

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a red or green light to get to and from my stands always. Deer aren't stupid, light or no light, they hear you walking through the woods, breaking a limb, etc. so why not just use one and avoid as many limbs as you can?

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The idea that deer can't see red or green lights always amuses me. Sure, they may see some colors better than others, but you bet your bottom dollar they can see a light of some sort, regardless of color. On top of that, deer can see in the dark as well as we can all see during daylight. The idea that not using a light somehow hides you from the deer seeing you is nothing more than a lie we tell ourselves to make us feel sneaky.

In my experience, deer are generally much more tolerant of humans at night than during the daytime - regardless of what type of light you may be holding or wearing on your head. We can all guess as to the reason why, but I've always felt that it's nothing more than the simplest answer: they don't have many encounters with people at night, and when they do, the people usually can't see them so if they just hold still, the "danger" passes without incident.

I want to get to my stand as quickly and with as little noise as possible in the mornings. I use a nice bright white headlamp, so I know where I'm going, and I'm not needlessly stumbling into the unknown or stepping on stuff that I shouldn't be.

muzzyman88, Katt72 and BB1 like this.
  5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mean, I'm pretty sneaky, Justin....

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my mind, I'm a stealth ninja, and no animal sees, hears, or smells me on my dark approach to the stand. Then I drop my release, and it hits my stand and every stick on the way down.

Big John, Jimboishere and oldnotdead like this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!!

8. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Justin thats spot on. Light is light, no matter the color. I like red personally.. makes me feel like a special ops or navy seal sneaking into the tree.

If you've ever had a friend walking to you in the dark with a light, a white beam of light is way more easy to see. Not saying its wrong, but I know with a red light, there isn't much of a beam from a distance. Its not as intense. That and keep the bloody thing pointed toward the ground and not blazing through the timber.. lol.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  9. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just out of curiosity, what does everyone use for lights??

10. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was always under the impression the red / green simply made it easier for ones eyes to acclimate back to the dark once turning the light off.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Which, of course, is super important for shooting deer before legal shooting time.

12. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    If you're hunting the midwest, where, lets face it, the deer are kind of dumb out there... lol... use the biggest, highest lumen light you can legally buy...

If you hunt in places that deer aren't as tolerant of pressure and big shiny lights.. you might wanna tone it down and use red or green..

And yes, the red and green is super convenient for those nocturnal bucks that you can't quite catch in daylight. :ninja: