Fixed Blade Broadhead That Flies Like Field Tip..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by FullTimeKiller, Feb 6, 2013.

1. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think i definatley have to give the slick tricks a try, have NOT heard of any bad reviews on these on this forum, seems like a lot of you guys just love these.

2. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my team members shot a giant with a slick trick this year. Slightly quartering to him, and he stuffed it 10 ring behind the shoulder. He put a hole through the front lung, liver, and out through the guts. The deer ran 800 yards before they found it, and they are VERY lucky they did because it was in a giant cat tail marsh.

I put the same shot on Barry Sanders this year (in-reverse), and didn't get a lung. Barry didn't make it 100 yards. That my friends is why I shoot a giant cutting diameter head. Kills them dead fast....

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    SERIOUSLY....every...I repeat EVERY broadhead has wounded deer, is wounding deer and will continue to wound deer in the future. Likewise every broadhead has, is and will continue to kill them as well.

The hunter kills the deer not the broadhead, not the arrow, not the bow...all of them rely upon the skill/use of the hunter.

Any one lunged deer can go a long ways...read stories of 2 inch mechs, 1 inch fixes and all inbetween with similar stories. I blew threw a doe this year with a slick trick and it looked like a slug hole when I found her 100 yards away...I know right 100 yards away is ridiculously too far...and that freaking blood trail got blood all over my boots along the way ;) :lol:

4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got my Wasp SST Hammers flying like darts. They penetrate so well, even through bone, why would I trade for something I believe is less reliable? I've shot them for over 15 years and lost one deer. I would have lost that deer with any broadhead. It was a bad shot on my part, not the broadheads fault.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was a terrible example.

6. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot ten animals with Slick Tricks and not one has made it over 100 yards. That my friends, is because I don't take stupid shots.

Those 2"+ close only do you good if their <2" from the kill zone.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    But backcountry I shot a deer in the "bullseye" and only got one lung and it died 2400 feet away...slicks must be junk right? :lol:

8. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Haha!

9. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    *@ WKPTodd* - i started this thread to get feedback on the opinions on fixed blade broadheads...
    If you want to hunt with mechanicals then thats fine, but what i want is opinions of hunters that have a good recommendation for fixed heads.. I can tell aready now that this thread is gunna turns into a mechanical vs. fixed thread...

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I recently traded some extra Muzzy MX-3's I had for some QAD Exodus 100 grn full blade. The QAD's seem to fly really well.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Fulltime to be honest if I were to make my personal "best" collection of fixed bladed heads it'd be the following:

-Slick Trick Magnums/standards
    -The classic Thunderhead
    -Hellrazor
    -Muzzy (yeah any of them)
    -G5 made one I liked as well

All are tough as nails, fly great out of a tuned bow and will more than penetrate enough.

12. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ya nice choices, i pretty much have my mind set on the same ones you mentioned. Slick tricks, g5 montec cs, qad exocus, or a muzzy - the new one they cam out with they say flies like a field point.
    Thanks for your opinions tynimiller.

13. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Hey coop, did you have to adjust your rest or sight at all? not that it would matter to me to do that, but just curious if the exodus really do fly like field points, like they are advertised to. Are they that accurate, or just out to a certain yardage? Thanks.

14. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Did you learn nothing from any of the statements said in this thread? :bash:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

15. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I did, i also brought my bow to the shop, and they had to do minor adjustments to my bow when they tuned it. I picked up some G5 montec cs broadheads and got them to fly deadly out to 70 yards. But if i shoot fieltips its a bit off, so i always have to mess around still. Its not to bad, shootin more accurately then before. I was just wondering if the qad exodus flies like people say, if yes then whats the point spending hrs re-sighting your set up everytime?

16. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watch the video when it comes out and tell me it's a bad example. When you see where the shot was on the cat-tail giant, you will understand where I'm coming from.

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    A slightly quartering to shot is always one that may require some long tracking as it nearly will almost eliminate the chance (due to the angle) of a double lung hit. A human can live with one lung for a long time...deer can do it even longer. My only issue with your statement is one cannot make a blanket statement about any broadhead based on one occurance. Shoot I think Rages are crap, but a well placed perfectly broadside shot will devastate a whitetail (if you hit ribs it might deflect bad but still should do the trick). I would bet my whole life savings, my truck, my ability to hunt that for every single broadhead used by a substantial amount of people there is always going to be examples of "failures".

One lunged hits are still one lung hits....it doesn't matter if the liver is hit as well....the whitetail deer are impressive to say the least at times. If I shoot a deer and double lung it but miss the heart and it goes 100+yards...my hat is off to it as most of the time that won't be the case at all.

18. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Got to try shots with slick tricks today, this may very well be the fixed blade broadhead i was looking for to hunt with for this upcoming fall... Was really impressed with them. From the way they flew, also seem to be well designed/constructed and tough BH. Sweeet!