Fixed Blade Broadhead That Flies Like Field Tip..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by FullTimeKiller, Feb 6, 2013.

1. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats good to hear, ive been wanting to give this broadhead a try ever since i seen the advertisments for it.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    slick tricks for this kid, if I were to simply state what I believe in and use.

3. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, myself personaly wouldnt use an expandeable on larger animals like elk or moose, i know people do and say it works, i just would trust an expandable.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot Slick Tricks (Razor Tricks) out to 60 yards and hit same POI as my field points. I practice out to 60 yards every once in awhile.

5. Snap-On

Snap-On Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found that when the wind was near non existent my Muzzy Phantom fixed fly identical to a field point. This is even out to 50 yards.

You want to be careful when testing as I would imagine at 50 yards even a 7-8 mph wind would knock it off somewhat. Usually in the woods the wind is lower though and really shooting in high wind is not a good idea even with a field tip. Just the other day I took a nice 60 yard shot not only was my bow moving more but I had a decent release and missed the target entirely sending it into the old tractor shed! Good thing its wood!

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lol::evilgrin:

Don't take my advice. Please.......

7. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would also say the exodus by QAD, ever watch hallowed ground outdoors? devestating blood trails!

8. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL! Too funny :lol:
    (definitely don't take that advice)

I haven't 60yds with a BH in a long time, but I used to use Muzzy's at that distance and they flew great. Sounds like you are very close if your BH's and FP's are good at 40. If your groups are spreading out the further you go, its a fine tune issue. You can likely make some very minor changes and tighten them up. I shoot Slick Tricks today, really like them.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    JM already posted the tuning guide, but it really depends on what you are looking for your broadhead to do.

If you're main concern is flight, you'll be hard pressed to find a fixed blade head that flies better than a magnus stinger. period. But what you are gaining in flight, you are losing in cutting diameter and cutting surface.

Slick Tricks are in my opinion one of the best broadheads on the market. They fly incredibly, their penetration is phenomenal and they have 2 1/4" of cutting surface.

The Thunderhead also fly very well.

Keep in mind, we don't (shouldn't) buy broadheads for the best case scenario. A double lung shot is a dead deer with any broadhead. What is important is what happens when you don't hit where you wanted. Do you want a 1" slit through the guts from a magnus stinger that flies well? Or a 2 1/2" hole from a broadhead you properly tuned your bow for? I'll take the second... every day.

10. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutly agree with what you said. We always hope for the best case scenario, but it doesnt happen everytime, and just like you said that its definatly nice to have a broadhead on your side with a larger cutting diamater!

11. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you to everyone who took their time to share thoughts and experiences with all the different types of fixed broadheads, appreciate all of the replies.

12. HuntingNONstop

HuntingNONstop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm switching to the QAD Exodus this year. Iv thought about it for a while and talked to many people and I have heard excellent things on them! I haven't had experience with them but they seem awesome! Give them a try!

13. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You won't find a fixed head that fly's like a field point. Regardless of what people say, if it has a blade sticking out any-side (mechanicals included), it will plane differently. The only thing that varies is the amount of plane from your set-up.

I would recommend you look into Epek broadheads. They fly exactly like a field point because they have ZERO blades exposed outside of the furrel during flight. At impact, the front shifts back, forcing all (3) blades out simultaniously. I have shot a ton of heads, and these are as strong as a fixed head, fly like a field point, and destroy like a 1-3/4" cutting diameter (3 blade) head should. As a team we killed 30+ deer with them this season. Not a complaint from a guy; but text messages of some incredible blood trails. A must check out....

14. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ya ive heard just good things about the exodus also.. I think definatley worth to look at.

15. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how guys want to shoot a head with a tiny cutting diameter. On marginal shots, that leaves nearly ZERO room for error. With the energy of todays bows, you are blowing through any animal with a 1-3/4" cut - why waste all that energy with a small fixed head that will only put the excess energy into the ground on the other side of the animal?

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because some bows don't produce enough energy to push that big broadhead through. Thus with my set up ill use a small COC fixed head.

17. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but on the flip side, and I see it all the time, there are guys shooting 70lb, or even 80lb, bows, with tiny little 1" broadheads on their arrows. Why? Because no matter how hard they try, they cannot get larger fixed heads to fly well. What a huge waste of energy. But these same guys won't even consider trying a big cut mechanical, that will fly perfect, and with all the energy in their setups, would penetrate awesome. But because popular opinion is mechanicals suck, they won't hear of it. They are doing themselves a huge disservice. Mechanicals have come a long way in the last several years, and they can take advantage of all the extra energy stored in today's bows.

18. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 70 lb bow with a 31" draw length, and I shot Rages for two years. I switched back to a fixed blade broadhead, Slick Trick Mags, just for simplicity. I never had a single problem with the Rages, they never even popped open in my quiver. I just did not like the very slight risk that something could go wrong. With my Slick Tricks, I KNOW there is nothing that will go wrong, unless it's completely my fault. All the deer I kill are just as dead as the ones I killed using Rages, and they die just as fast. I also have a better chance of punching through bones, just in case I happen to hold a touch too far forward.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Felt like quoting b/c definitely worth a read for anyone who missed it and I fully agree!

20. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nother vote for slick trick mags