Fixed Blade Broadhead That Flies Like Field Tip..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by FullTimeKiller, Feb 6, 2013.

1. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys Ive really been lookin for a fixed blade broadhead that flies identical to field tips. Ive used a couple that flew the same out to 35-40 yards but nothin seemed to fly the same past that, consistanlty anyways. Any recommendations or suggestions for a fixed blade that would fly the same as fielt tips to 60+ yards (for sheep hunting) I was thinking maybe the exodus from QAD? Thanks for any replies!

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    60 yards? lol! Any broad head for the most part will fly just fine as long as your arrows and bow are In tune together. The marriage between the 2 Is a must.

3. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best advice I could give if your looking for consistent 60 yard accuracy. Find some who really knows how to tune a bow/arrow then perfect your form. ANY fixed head will shoot at 60 yards.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

4. ArrowCrazy

ArrowCrazy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advise...X2

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ANY broadhead connected to a properly tuned set up. :D

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

No such thing. Since most broadheads are longer than field points, the FOC will be different between the two.

With carefull tuning you can get very close. One suggestion is to get 2 sights. one for broadheads and one for field points.

7. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with what most others have said. Tuning your bow properly will yield the best results, not changing broadheads... Good Luck with the sheep!

8. Sarge75

Sarge75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A good tune is the path to take for sure but as a side note the QAD Exodus does fly like a FP in my experience. I have never shot it at those ranges but up 40 they are dead on with my FPs.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to save yourself the headaches, make sure that your arrow/head combination has a higher than normal FOC. 15% or better seems to fly much, much better at longer ranges.

I shoot 100gr heads because they're easier to find usually, but I use internal weights in the insert to add 25+ grains of weight to front of my arrows. My hunting arrows fly like darts and great penetration this way.

10. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I had someone tune my bow at the bow shop a few months ago, he always does a great job with all archery stuff, and hes had a ton of experience for sure. Like many of you said, a perfectly tuned bow is definatley need. The thing i was wondering is just if there is a fixed blade broad head that flies identical to field tips. Also how would i tune my bow when the fixed blad broad heads fly dead on up to forty yards and past that distance they just drop and even go to one side? Is that due to the rest possibly getting moved a liitle bit? Field tips fly dead on out to 80 yrds and so do practise expandable heads. I just shoot that distance for fun and don't plan or even want to shoot at game from 80, even though i am confident if the wind and everything else is perfect i could do it.. Its just that i would love a fixed head that does work well for the longer distances, so im confident when drawing back on game. So could it be my arrow rest causing the broadhead to drop and mobe a bit to one side? Thanks guys for the respones already!

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is just my opinion... the NAP Thunderheads fly best on PSE Bow with a Apache Rest. If I hunt with a fixed blade it's usually the Thunderhead 100 gr. Got a friend who shoots the Muzzy MX3's. They shoot good for him. Now with my Mayhem Hunter 350 arrows...the fixed blades fly better on those than any other Arrow I've tried. It may be due to they have that weight forward from CE...not really sure.

13. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
  14. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot grizz tricks, G5 striker (125 grain), G5 montec, muzzy Mx-3 and maybe another that I can't think of at 60 yards and they all flew with my field points. The slick tricks and muzzys were by far my favorite with muzzys taking the lead.
    If I would have more pins I'm confident I could have extended the distance.

Like said above, it's all in the tune. Also the spine of your arrows mated to the broadhead. When pushing the envelope like that everything has to be spot on perfect.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would just use Rage heads so you don't have to tune your bow.

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will burn!

17. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I know what your sayin, but i just wanna find a fixed blade broadhead that i like and i can get to fly great, with my setup and then just stick with that broadhead and be able to use it with most big game.

18. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I got to get my bow tuned like yours. But its good to hear that you got all those different fixed blade broadheads to fly that great. Ive been using fixed and expandeable heads. But just really want to find a fixed blade and stick with it. What do you think is better in a fixed blade, one where you can change the blades like a muzzy, or one made out of one solid piece like a g5 montec? Or is that just personal preference? Thanks indynotch.

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    G5 montec I'll never buy another replaceable blade head again!

20. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can agree wit this, I've never shot them anywhere close to 60 yards but 40-45 yard range their accurate as my field points.