Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Five Days out...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INbowhunter, Sep 26, 2023.

1. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well here we are five days away from opening morning. Excited and anxious like every other year but this year I'm nearing the season with a bit of annoyance. Normally, I don't follow social media pages for deer hunting but I joined a public page for deer hunting in our state this year and boy was I annoyed right away. Why is it so popular for people to whine and complain that they have nowhere to hunt a week away from season opener and beg others to share their hunting property with them? I simply explain that they either become a people person and ask around for permission or go hunt public property like many others, suddenly I'm the gate-keeping bad person. I explain that it takes lots of work to obtain a solid piece of property and many aren't going to share it with someone else who doesn't want to put in the work. I'm thrilled with the all the new people becoming interested in our passion but I feel like they just want a trophy deer for very little leg work. Sorry, rant over :beer:

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The it's not fair crowd, you have hard work and effort privilege, you should share.:lol:

Vabowman, cantexian and INbowhunter like this.
  3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I no longer get excited for the opener ... hell, I work anyways and its going to be 80 degrees Sun. .... maybe a while before I even go out, I'll wait for cooler weather and less eye/cattle gnats ..... everything IS ready to go ... I dont start getting excited till mid month and closer to my 1st Vac (Halloween week).... #2 vac. (Nov.) isnt till the 9 days that lead into gun (I usually sit gun out) ... boths vac's are 9 days .....

btw, I had private for 18yrs(160 acres), killed some nice deer off of it. .. now I'm back to state land and I still kill some nice bucks and Does .... I like state/public, if its the 'right' state/public lands ..

INbowhunter likes this.
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fellow Hoosier and don’t plan on hunting opener. Unless conditions are ideal I don’t go…unless on a burner property looking for a freezer filler

INbowhunter likes this.
  5. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the fence of going out for a morning sit in the 50s...but cold front moves in later next week so might wait for that.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You would never hunt if you lived in the south and had to wait for temps cooler than the 50s. I killed a doe this past Saturday when it was 70* in the morning with a day time high of 92*. The heat bothers you more than the deer. I hate the heat, but it does help me get the woods to myself.

Tony and INbowhunter like this.
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is all relative to time of the year and area....cool swing could be in the 70s depending. My hunting efficiency exploded when I personally stopped just hunting to hunt because I could hunt - which I think is why I won't go usually unless like I said its a burner type property for me - which sadly losing more and more places I don't really have any more.

INbowhunter likes this.
  8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    since I back pack stand/gear in every sit, the heat is my enemy ... maybe the weekend of 6th/7th for an evening sit if its cool, acorns are falling like crazy right now .. since its state land I'm in no rush, but I dont hunt my rut stands, I dont want to poison the areas, I'm trying for a early Doe as it is .. hopefully no other goes tramping thru either ..

tynimiller and INbowhunter like this.
  9. INbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted my good property way too much the other year. Never got a shot on a deer, never saw any good bucks while in stand. Pretty sure I just scented the whole place up. This year I'm going to pick and choose the good days, hunt a different property early.