Fishing thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brett come to Minnesota between the Mississippi and Mille Lacs and several other lakes there are many opportunities to catch smallies over 20". My wife and her friend are fish catching machines they fish smallies by day and fish for walleyes at night, then again give me the summer off and I would get after it too, sucks to have a funny thing called a job.

Wedes and virginiashadow like this.
  2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I had a place like that to fish smallmouth I may be seasonally employed. Ha. My favorite fish.

cantexian, Bone Head Hunter and Sota like this.
  3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine too. I like green ones too but will pick smallmouths every time if given a choice.

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm slowly learning how the river gauges will predict when the river is able to be fished. The section I fish lies between 1 to 3 mile below the dam and sometimes they release a hell of a lot of water and things change real quick. Like the other day I pretty much risked death for bass .lol

So today the river has rapidly leveled off and the height and flow should be good, but I'm predicting muddy. What kind of baits do you think I should throw? I'm interested in this new clickbait I bought today, but I'm thinking to fish a little deeper behind some rocks as they might still be holed up bc of the recent 4 days of heavy flow. What do you think?

5. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crawfish crankbait in orange or chartreuse. Or old faithfull norman baby n in a clown color. Bang them off the rocks. As soon as you feel them hit something stop reeling and wait for the strike. No strike hit it again.... The pause is what triggers the strike!

Sota and virginiashadow like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    White buzz bait too

virginiashadow likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wife is pissed she had a big smallie on and to the pontoon and lost it, she said it was noticeably bigger than the other ones she caught.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    The river was still messed up. Hit a lake near the house and it was terribly choked up with weeds. Found a tiny pocket..
    And after a couple miles of paddling I caught this nice little guy. I need to learn this lake.

20210729_183907.jpg

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a big bass fisherman as far as knowledge goes, but here, be it a borrow pond, farm pond or lake, these spinner baits are pretty much go to for me. I don't know what it is about them but they work anywhere and everywhere for me. has to be the double blade with one silver and the other brass/bronze.

Wish we had small mouths here, they look like a fun fight. I need to fish more and be on the internet less.........

upload_2021-7-29_18-54-33.png

Sota likes this.
  10. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really didn’t fish much growing up. Dad just wasn’t that into it back then. My brother and he got into it while I was in college. I live close to the river and several lakes and decided this year I was going to dive in and learn as much as I could about it. Brother showed me a little bit of catfishing techniques in years past and I’ve gone some here and there but just never figured out the basics.

If you’ve never fished before, it’s a daunting hobby to tackle. So many types of fish, so many types of tackle, so many strategies, and so many dudes on YouTube just wanting to get paid by their sponsors. I walk into the local bait shop and I just feel lost. So I decided to ask some buddy’s who I know who are good at it for tips and general info. Also asked to fish with some friends and I watched what they did. And that has led to some success and more bigger fish.

Landed my biggest bass in June on a nice farm pond with a buddy. I used a plastic worm on a Texas Rig that my buddy recommended.

Learned some Crappie fishing from an old timer at church. Haven’t quite got that down just yet but I don’t know that ive been in the best locations.

Tried my hand at trout fishing while in the smokies on vacation. Didn’t have a mentor. Only caught one little rainbow but it was awesome.

And then today I went with another guy from church I consider an expert to a local dam and we did really well.

[​IMG]
    My biggest bass to date. 22inches.

[​IMG]
    Another nice one while out fishing with my wife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rainbow

[​IMG]
    Walleye earlier today.

[​IMG]

Hope to keep learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of my favorite set ups is an orange berkley power egg threaded on a long shank hook up on the line then I thread as much of a short night crawler on the hook as I can even up past the eye of the hook onto the line. Fish that under a slip bobber it works for bass, walleye, trout etc.

cantexian likes this.
  12. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going all the way back to 1990. Found a nice honey hole on the local creek across the road where nobody went. They all fished around the historic covered bridge and points north.

Found it by taking a roll of twine and setting up close to 15 bank lines with 5 hooks and night crawler on them. Caught some yellow bellies, blue gill and perch on most of them, on this spot I caught a 1.5 lb. channel and was missing 3 hooks. Fished the spot for 2 years and became the local camp spot.

Caught a lot of fish in the bend of Sugar Creek that was probably 18 feet wide and 7 feet deep.

Can't confirm, but I might have been high in the picture :lol:

Wish I could find one of the blugill I caught arounf the same time in a local private pond. Biggest bluegill I have ever caught.

20210802_184531.jpg

ash d, Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bite has been slow but did catch two twin about 17 inches. Fought fairly hard. And a small smallie. 20210805_182512.jpg 20210805_181215.jpg 20210805_170208.jpg 20210805_183756.jpg

ash d, Wedes, cantexian and 4 others like this.
  16. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A day to remember. Sons first fish and he ran the Zebco like a champ. He said I am his best fishin buddy. 6BE34C5E-504E-41DB-A361-4B7ACC52DEFD.jpeg 2AC76D9C-C7BB-485C-8B17-F6760FFF349F.jpeg

ash d, picman, Wedes and 7 others like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love it

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hook swallowers, should have been in the rant thread, but bluegill and bull head swallow the disproportionate sized hooks...

Bastards

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Circle hooks

camo75 likes this.
  20. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I asked him tonight how big his biggest fish was. He’s already tellin’ fish tales!

cantexian and GregH like this.