FirstString Flightwire review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Buck Magnet, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Well, today I recieved my FirstString Flightwire string/cable set. I was very excited to open it up and see just how this set-up was going to work.

First thing I noticed when I opened the package and took the string out was that the "pre installed" string silencers weren't installed, as a matter of fact, they weren't there :confused: Its really not a huge deal, but if they are going to advertise that the string comes with pre-installed string silencers, it should atleast have string silencers, pre-installed or not. Another thing I noticed was that there wasn't an included peep sight. From browsing the product photo's I got the impression that the string would come with a 2-position peep sight. I should have read more carefully as the product description doesn't list a peep sight, but it is strange that the product photo shows a peep sight and even mentions a "2 position peep sight". No big deal, just a little mis-leading.

Well, onto the strings themselves. The strings are very nicely made, the dual-two tone color scheme is awsome. The servings are VERY nice, and they seem tighter and more consistent than the Winners Choice strings that I have used. The servings are guaranteed not to slip. I havn't yet installed the strings, probablly end up doing that tomorrow night, but I am hoping that these perform as good as they look.

Now, onto the interesting part, the pre-installed string loop and the pre-installed "peep locks". The string loop is pre-installed on the center serving but it isn't tightened down. The directions say to position the d-loop and then tighten it down by inserting a allen wrench into the loop and pulling it tight. It seems rather simple as long as the loop doesn't slide or the ends pull in and pinch the nock. I will find that out tomorrow I guess.

The "peep locks" are nothing more than a few wraps of serving that are wrapped fairly tight around the string. I found that the only way I could move them was by using tweezers to slide them. You are supposed to position your peep sight and then slide the "peep locks" into place. The only way I see this working is by marking where your peep should be, press the bow and insert the peep, take the bow out of the press and make sure that the peep is set properly, re-press the bow and slide the "peep locks" into place, and when you take your bow out of the press there should be enough pressure to really sink them in and keep your peep from moving. I honestly think that it is going to work fine, but I won't know for sure till tomorrow.

All in all, so far everything about the string screams quality and it looks as though it is one of the best strings that I have seen, with that said, I wouldn't order the Flightwire kit again if I was on the market for a new string, I would choose one of their other packages that is just the string and cables. I will keep ya'll updated and will probablly post photos tomorrow :cool:

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, sounds like the "kit" is a bit more hassle than it's worth. For the d-loop, you can try inserting a pair of needle nose pliers into the loop, than spreading the jaws to stretch the d-loop and tighten it down that way. Looking forward to see how they hold up over the first 100 or so shots. Do you happen to know what kind of material they use?

3. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will probablly end up using the needle nose pliers Matt, it seems like a safer bet.

The string is made of BCY 452X, it says "Dyneema/Vectran blended material makes for the most stable string available"

The center serving is made of BCY #62XS, it says "Spectra/Polyester blended material for ultimate grip & durability"

"BCY 3-D Loop & Cam Serving, 3-Ply twisted Dyneema for small diameter and ultimate performance"

4. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update Jason.

I didn't know how it would turn out. Glad it seems manageable from here, but I can see why this kit doesn't benefit a guy much. Guys that have presses at their house usually have the ability to serve in a peep and install a D-Loop. If you don't have a press at home, it would probably be much easier to have that stuff done at the shop at the time when you change the string/cables.

Glad the string/cables seem like quality stuff, otherwise that would be a real kick in the pants.